CoinPeople.com

Great Seal of the United States

PANA4685.jpg

PANA4684.jpg

Out of the dozen or so bronze medals I have in my collection, this is by far my favorite. It is a large bronze medal depicting the Great Seal of the United States. I not sure of the date of mintage but it has a date of 1882 on the obverse. Though I'm sure it is of more recent mintage. It was designed by Barber who also designed several US coins in the 19th century. It's 62mm and 123.5 grams. Nothing is stamped on the edge would could indicate an earlier mintage.

The web has a vast amount of great information on this design.

R.W. Julian's book on the Medals of the United States Mint (TAMS, 1977) notes the medal was first struck in 1882 for the centennial of the Great Seal. They went on sale September 13, 1882. They were struck off and on as demand required. It was listed for $6 in 1972 mint catalog. I don't see it on the current mint distribution list.

Nice medal. Julian reports that some were opposed to striking the medal out of fear that it could be used to forge official documents.

R.W. Julian's book on the Medals of the United States Mint (TAMS, 1977) notes the medal was first struck in 1882 for the centennial of the Great Seal. They went on sale September 13, 1882. They were struck off and on as demand required. It was listed for $6 in 1972 mint catalog. I don't see it on the current mint distribution list.

Nice medal. Julian reports that some were opposed to striking the medal out of fear that it could be used to forge official documents.

Bill,

Thanks for the info. So is this one from 1882 of a later re-strike?

Ron

I haven't handled enough of the American mint products to be a good judge. I doubt that that there would be much variance in the medals as I suspect the dies were used for quite a few years. I believe the color of the bronze is the best clue and I would suspect yours is earlier rather than later. However, I defer to anyone who knows more than me about this particular subject. I think it is one where hands on experience is required.

• 3 months later...

Archived