CoinPeople.com

What would you call this, and how did it get there?

I've been studying this type for a couple of months now, and this one is the biggest mystery so far.

1980v.jpg

1980va.jpg

The pictures are very poor, but they still help to explain what I see.

On both sides there is something that looks like die damage. I have more dramatic examples than this, but this is one of the coins, which has it on both sides, on the corresponding place. If you would drill a hole there, you would drill through both. I have made the following picture to show what I mean. Keep in mind that this coin is minted in coin alignment.

1980%20mix.jpg

I have absolutely no explanation for this. It is something that damaged the dies, but why did this happen on the exact same corresponding place?

I have found similar things on two other dates, on other places. And I have from every date more than one example. So a corrosion-bubble, or something like that is out of the case.

Anyone here, who can solve this mystery?

Regards

Jos

If I had to make a guess, I would say something harder than the die got struck into the dies without a coin blank in the way to keep it off the other side. In other words, the dies come down, no coin enters, but a steek shard makes its way between them before they close all the way, and BAM, a two die gouge.

Yes, that's the only way something like this could have happened. The question remains where this hard material comes from. A die chip could be an explanation, but if a die is chipping, it is bound to be taken out of production. On the other hand, I have more than one coin, that is struck with that die, so that might not be the source of that chunk of metal.

Thanks for you replies

Regards

Jos

Archived