CoinPeople.com

Farran Zerbe Advertising Token

A recently acquired piece for my aluminum and numismatists collections.

921721.jpg

The 50mm aluminum advertising token is from the 1904 Saint Louis world's fair.

What was he offering (to pay):

1794 One Dollar: $100

1804 One Dollar: $1500

1796 Half Dollar: $100

1802 Half Dime would get you $50.

Any trime was $10.

Early gold would fetch $10 to $20.

A 1793 Large Cent would draw an offer in the $3 to $20 range.

I'm willing to match almost all of his offers if there are still any takers out there!

Nice. I love aluminum and you seem to have discovered the trick of photographing it. :ninja:

I use the technique shooting with a sheet of glass at 45 degrees between the camera and the token. I use a single light on one side shining under the glass and shielded so it doesn't reflect in the glass. That helps with light drop off from the other side. On the other side, I use a large reflector spot light that I start aimed straight at the glass. I then move that light until I acheive the effect I want and snap the photo. Sometimes I am angled down at the piece (creates a more white photo), sometimes up at the glass (turns highly reflective fields black and high points white). Straight on emphasizes the lettering, but the effects differ from piece to piece. So, I start with the traditional lighting and start adjusting to achieve the effect I want. Sometimes, it just seems impossible because what works for one part of the piece doesn't work for another. Thanks to digital, I can experiment and throw away the garbage. Sometimes, I need a lot of post processing in Photoshop, sometimes they are just right.

Archived