CoinPeople.com

Kolyvan Mint - 5 kopeck coin

Moonglow

Hello,

This is my first post! :ninja: I wanted to find out more about a 5 kopeck coin that is in my late fathers coin collection - I've done a little bit of research on the net, but I thought you guys might know more.

It's a 5 kopeck coin from the reign of Catherine the Great with a KM on it (I believe this is a Kolyvan Mint coin?), its dated 1782.

Does anyone know any more about this coin, especially how rare is it, and if anyone has any more information on it.

Thanks!

M

Welcome to coinpeople Moonglow. Glad you came here. This forum is an excellent forum for researching Russian coins in English.

Now about your coin, in general KM coins are not too common compared with EM and other mints at various times. Now if you can find a 1787 or 1788 TM in your collection, now that's something RARE.

Depending on the condition of your coin, values will vary greatly as well as varieties. Hence it's difficult to give a rough estimate what yours might be valued. You might want to post a picture if you can.

Once again, welcome to coinpeople :ninja:

It's a 5 kopeck coin from the reign of Catherine the Great with a KM on it (I believe this is a Kolyvan Mint coin?), its dated 1782.

Does anyone know any more about this coin, especially how rare is it, and if anyone has any more information on it.

According to Brekke's book, "The Copper Coinage of Imperial Russia", 300,709 roubles' worth of copper coins of all denominations was struck at the Kolyvan mint in 1782 -- this is the highest number compared with all other years for that mint from 1781-1796. Unfortunately, this number isn't broken down into the different denominations, but it is probably relatively the same proportion as for the other years. Mintage of EM (Ekaterinburg mint) for 5 kopek coins ALONE in 1782 was 1,808,744 roubles, so you can see that KM is much scarcer for that year than EM, although 1782 is probably the most common KM date.

There are two varieties for this year, one with a regular date and the other with more widely spaced digits ("1782" and "1 7 8 2").

Here is a picture of my 1782-KM (I'm sure that sigistenz will be able to show you a much nicer one, though! :ninja: )

Welcome to CoinPeople, by the way! ;)

Thanks for the information and the warm welcome guys! I will try to take a picture and post it on the board. I'm very new to this coins stuff, as my dad collected coins for years, but I've become interested in his collection recently and would like to find out more. I think this is the kind of place I could learn a lot from!

M :ninja:

There are two varieties for this year, one with a regular date and the other with more widely spaced digits ("1782" and "1 7 8 2").

Here is a picture of my 1782-KM (I'm sure that sigistenz will be able to show you a much nicer one, though!

Hi and thank you Bob for your praise! However, I would like to contribute with a fruit of my recent correspondence with Steve Moulding: 2 different 5kop1782KM. with the monograms saying "Ekaterina Imperatritsa" and "Imperatritsa Ekaterina". Wouldn't that deserve 2 catalog numbers? Hit the link, Sigi

http://www.sigistenz.com/bilder/5kop1782KMmonograms.jpg

Archived