CoinPeople.com

Coin Collecting Software

cliffhsc

Hello

New member singed up today. Would like some feedback on coin collecting software that you are using

likes and dislikes.

Thank You Cliff

Actually it's not just for coin collecting, but I still use MS Excel. There have been many discussions on soft and all of them get to verdict "XL is the best".

I started with Excel, and it did the job that was required. As my collection grew, I switched to MS Access, and am now in the process of updating my MS Access database and building a VB Front end to interface the database.

It's my little pet project and I prefered to develop my own software rather than purchase something so that I could get exactly what I want out of the software.

I guess the key underlying statement is that if you use Excel or Access or something similar you can create something that does exactly what you need it to do.

I am currently using CoinManage by Liberty Street Software. It does everything I need it to do. The only draw back is that it only has coins from US, Canada and the UK in it's database. If you collect coins from other countries you will need to add them. You may want to check them out.

Liberty Street Software

I too use Excel. I've been using it for many years now and although I now have about 50 pages printed out from it, it is the best one I've tried and/or heard of. For one thing it is fairly universal. This means if you have any questions about how to do anything, you can ask millions of people on many different forums or just about anywhere on Earth. Next thing to remember is when you use Excel and you want to check something and your not at your coputer you could just carry a 3 1/2 floppy with you and it would most likely be usable anywhere on Earth. Of course in China you would have to know Chinese. Excel is verysiple to use, expand, change, make copies, etc. I like it because I make one layout for Lincoln Cents, recopy it for sets 2, 3, 4, etc. then copy it for Jefferson Nickels and on and on. If you want to have someone make a layout for you they can easily email it to you. To make a short story even longer check out some of the older post here and/or other coin web sites for the same subject.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived