CoinPeople.com

one-third farthling Canadian?

Mister Ed

I found in a flea market an 1885 one-third farthing coin in real pretty shape and it was in a holder titled: Canada. Can anyone help.....is it actually British? The front reads: Victoria D.G. Britt. REG F.D.

Ed,

They were actually issued for use in Malta, although they are commonly adopted as British Coins. There is some more information available about them on my site www.aboutfarthings.co.uk, if you have any other queries, let me know.

The 1/3 Farthings are classed as a British coinage, but they were never circulated in Britain, only in Malta as previously noted. Early in the 19th century 1/4 and 1/2 Farthings were minted for use in Ceylon and these were made legal for usage in Britain, though in reality they were never circulated there as the values were just too small.

• 1 month later...
Guest Aidan Work

There's a note in Krause that states that the 1/3 Farthing was issued in Malta,the 1/2 Farthing was issued in Ceylon,& the silver 3 Halfpence (1-1/2d.) was issued in the British West Indies,as was the 1888 Britannia Groat.

All of these colonial-issued coins are regarded as British coins,as are the 1942-44 silver 3d. & the scarce 1d. of 1950 & 1951.

Aidan.

Hi Mister Ed, nice find. You have been given a lot of relevant information here and I would recomend visiting www.aboutfarthings.co.uk, its a great website.

I collect third farthings and feel that they are under valued and collected. Here is my 1885.

1885%20Third%20Farthing%201.JPG

Archived