CoinPeople.com

1962 Ben Franklin Half Dollar

criteria911

Wow. not a bad coin. I don't think I've ever seen a Frankie that up close before.

I'm too tired to make a grade remark but it won't be low when people start making them.

The "shine" as you refer to it is called luster. It does play a major role in what kind of grade a coin would receive. Difference in luster can really effect the grade.

I'd call it UNC. Problem with scanners are they bring out the smallest mark and make it seem like a big scratch.

The "shine" as you refer to it is called luster. It does play a major role in what kind of grade a coin would receive. Difference in luster can really effect the grade.

I'd call it UNC. Problem with scanners are they bring out the smallest mark and make it seem like a big scratch.

It has excellent luster. I have been experimenting with different digital camera modes to show this and am not satisified yet with the outcome - I am closing in on it though with no flash and high ISO setting - will have another picture to put up on here... I suppose it would be better to use "luster" rather than "shine" when speaking about a coin surface reflection / condition, even though they do mean the same thing, but I do understand it is a term of the hobby and will use it from now on.

I wonder if the scanner is actually a problem though? I think this makes for a better hobby, you know? To prove when a coin has been cleaned or stained or retains fingerprints..and other things...

Scanners have their place in the coin world. But a camera gives a better overall look.

Have you tried different lighting angles or even angle the coin slightly? Often a coin is getting too much, too little, or not the right direction of light. Sometimes it takes 10 minutes to get the "perfect" shot.

Archived