CoinPeople.com

in a quandry...collect or display???

basicbob101

Hi folks,

I am a total newcomer here and appreciate the site very much. Used to collect years and years ago when the top gradew were BU and Proof, had albums to display my BU collections in (long since sold due to economic hard times in the late 60'S). Now there are many grades of BU, or should I say "mint state." I want to rebuild my collection but want to see the coins, not have them hidden away in a box for incapsulated coins.

I know the MS 69 would be best for appreciation...but does it make sense to take them out of the sealed graded containers to put them in an album where the entire set can be viewed at a glance? (Would cost a pretty penny to get them back in graded containers to take advantage of the higher value). Economically I am thinking it would be better to just stay with MS 60 for album display and take my chances on appreciation.

Is there any decent way to display an entire set of encapsulated coins (say the Silver Eagle set) without taking up an entire wall...that becomes a security problem as well, yet it is not the same to open up a box, lay them out to view, then have to box them up again...what to do, what to do. appreciate any advise. bob

It all depends on what you choose to collect really. Silver eagles rarely fall below MS-66 in grade because they are minted, and normally only collectors get ahold of them, so they rarely drop to MS-60 or below. Plus, a premium is always charged when someone buys slabbed. (You seem to realize the costs of this already) So buying a nice Unc set, instead of a slabbed set may cost only half as much, and they look the same, just without the slabbed grade.

If you choose to collect type coins and rare issues, slabbing is almost a must to most collectors. There are many good counterfiets and many ways to fake mintmarks nowadays, so slabbing is a good way to at least somewhat avoid that.

As for how to display them, either wall space and a custom made frame to hold dansco album pages, or a glass top table/ display case to have them set up in a nice manner. (When I get enough money to afford a bulletproof glass with a steel frame case I will display them that way)

But getting that made can cost several hundred dollars or more, and should either be bolted to the floor/wall/something too heavy for even two people to move without taking it apart. (which should be very hard to do, so it's harder to steal) Think museum display case!

So much on your question depends on where you live. If you live in an area like I do, Chicago land, you do NOT DISPLAY anything worth more than a few cents and even that may wander off. Many people around here have learned the hard way, unfortunately, about letting to many people see that you may have something worth BORROWING permanently. Two neighbors on my block alone have been robbed specifically for coins. One spent a few weeks in the hospital. He was home at the time. We have bars on windows and doors of anyplace with anything valuable. Even my tax man has been robbed several times and his doors are massive steel things. Our police are now afraid to use the so called Denver Boot on cars because they are stolen as novelties and sold at flea markets. Contrary to this is a town I visit in Wisconsin. People leave doors open, keys in cars, etc. Nothing is ever lost through theft there.

So again, it all depends on where you live.

As to slabbed coins. I open every one I get. I put all coins in Whitman Classic Albums. I don't worry about having them reslabbed because I am a coin collector, not a plastic slab collector. I am to old to worry about someday having my coins reslabbed. That will be for whoever gets them in the future.

thanks for all the input...I just can't bring myself to appreciate a collection in slabs. I have decided that the only way to have a collection (for me) is to have them in Dansco albums. There is just something about a full book of coins with no "holes" to look at. That is still small enough to lock away too.

So I am going to go that route and bypass the highest grade slab coins due to cost, if I buy any in slabs they will come out and go into the album.

that leads me to another question but I will start a new thread for that.

thanxz again for all the insights. basic bob :ninja:

I have decided that the only way to have a collection (for me) is to have them in Dansco albums. There is just something about a full book of coins with no "holes" to look at. That is still small enough to lock away too.

thanxz again for all the insights. basic bob :ninja:

To each his own. I know the Dansco Albums are better made than most but also cost the most. I really like the Whitman Classic Albums better. More versitility with addtional pages both blank and with writting. Also, the blue color makes Silver coins stand out better. Just my opinion.

As to slabs, I have none. When I get a coin in a slab, out to the garage, vise, saber saw and the coin is now free from that prison.

Archived