CoinPeople.com

1883-O Morgan Major Mint Errors????

wrascle

Looking for a second opinion on this 1883-O Morgan Dollar. I believe this coin

contains one or more major mint errors. I am a novice coin collector and would

greatly appreciate your opinions. I would hate to send this coin in for grading,

pay the fee's only to find out that I was way off base.

1883o_obverse.jpg

1883o_obverse2.jpg

1883o_reverse.jpg

1883o_reverse2.jpg

It looks like post mint problem. I.E. damaged after circulation. There may have been some original mint error but it is lost in secondary damage.

Edit: Just my opinion it would be body bagged and sent back ungraded.

It looks like post mint problem. I.E. damaged after circulation. There may have been some original mint error but it is lost in secondary damage.

Edit: Just my opinion it would be body bagged and sent back ungraded.

I think exactly the same.

The hunt must go on! :ninja:

Better luck next time

Jos

It could also be a counterfeit, it almost looks like an electrotype, the bubbles on the reverse, the pitted fields, and the mushy lines make me think so. Also, if it isn't it's surely post mint damage, maybe a ground recovery coin.

It could also be a counterfeit, it almost looks like an electrotype, the bubbles on the reverse, the pitted fields, and the mushy lines make me think so. Also, if it isn't it's surely post mint damage, maybe a ground recovery coin.

Indeed, the bubbling is almost impossible to find on silvercoins. This will be a forgery.

Are they known in counterfeit?

Jos

Indeed, the bubbling is almost impossible to find on silvercoins. This will be a forgery.

Are they known in counterfeit?

Jos

I've not seen too many counterfeit (electrotype or cast) Morgan dollars, they would be easy to pick out amongst the real ones I would imagine, so they are few and far between. There are a bunch of well made counterfeits coming from China recently, the have some excellent crafts persons making them, although they usually mess up on date/mint mark combinations.

So not common, but not unheard of.

A real nice place to look over what kinds of error types and information about them was put together by one of our Members. LostDutchman (Matt) error reference. Also the error museum where several types of error coins have been posted.

Archived