CoinPeople.com

my first and only roman coin

roaddevil

i just got a crispina avgvsta a week ago for 3 dinar thats about $9 (real cheap coins here in bahrain just have to know were to find sellers:D). i will keep a pic i got of it from a site since i dont have a good camera. its about the same but in mine she is facein left with a little green substance on the coin i will never dare clean the coin. some of the writings on my coin are shown more clearly and my coin looks much nicer this 1 in the pic looks dull .can any 1 help me figure how much its worth.its from about 180-192 AD.

RIC_0680.1.jpg

Crispina, wife of Commodus.177-192 AD. Æ Dupondius (12.54 gm). CRISPINA AVGVSTA,

draped bust right / IVNO LVCINA, S-C across field, Juno standing left, holding patera and sceptre. RIC II 680 (Commodus); BMCRE 433 (Commodus); Cohen 24.

Scarce. Estimate $300.

I would have to see your coin before I could say anything at all because of the rediculously cheap price you bought it for, there are some well know fake seller in bahrain.

I would have to see your coin before I could say anything at all because of the ridiculously cheap price you bought it for, there are some well know fake seller in bahrain.

I will have to agree. Especially with the comment that some details are clearer than the one in the pic, which if I'm mistaken is from CNG, a major seller of high end Roman coinage.

Sometimes it's not the seller's fault if counterfeit - the seller may be a honest dealer, but many dealers in modern coinages are not knowledgeable in ancients, and thus may unknowingly have counterfeits in their inventory.

Well, this changes everything!

-The coin you have is a denarius, and likely with a different reverse as well (though simular-looking)

-The obverse does not look "right", something appears to be odd.

Well, this changes everything!

-The coin you have is a denarius, and likely with a different reverse as well (though simular-looking)

-The obverse does not look "right", something appears to be odd.

The photo is still rather blurry, but I am not aware of many denari with left facing portraits.

• 4 weeks later...
I know I have my fair share...well...only one but it cost me.

I've never bought a fake but have bought cleaned coins I thought were original. That was long before I knew any of this stuff. :ninja:

Archived