CoinPeople.com

German Free States 1907 5 mark, Lubeck

28Plain

I lucked into a lot of 12 coins yesterday, 11 German Free State silvers, including one proof 2 mark, and one unc. Hapsburg florin. This is my favorite of the lot:

917362.jpg

I'm saying that this one is AU. If the pic is good enough, give me your estimate. I kind of like the slightly off-centered strike.

When I saw the pic before your second post something looked amyss with it. Looks like my 1910-J Hamburg 20 Mks coin, convincing on first site then not.

With the coin in hand, nothing looked wrong to me, but Bob Reis wanted to see it, so I mailed it to him. He emailed me that it's fake. My problem is that I can't see well anymore and glasses aren't much help. I can take a photo, load it onto my computer and view it full screen for a closeup look. I suppose I need to know what to look for in a fake in German empire coins.

I bought the 20 RM from a dealer in Hamburg, it was one of those situations where I wished I had my Krause catalog or I would not of have bought it. The date is off and while the obverse looks okay the reverse die is off a bit. In essence they did not mint 1910 J 20 RMs, all I can take some comfort in is that it appears to be gold.

Well, it'll make a filler coin for someone building a state set until they can buy one, I suppose. This one was simply in the lot as an unattributed 5 mark coin, so I didn't pay a 'Lubeck' price for it. ;-) The lot came from a Richmond shop where the dealer has no market for furrin coins and only a little interest in them.

Archived