CoinPeople.com

1918/7-D Buffalo nickel

syzygy

I have had a cold all weekend, but these little red pills help a lot - help the cold, but not necessarily my judgement :ninja:

So, I was looking over some buffalos and came across this one:

1918dop8.jpg

When I look at it under certain angles, it does look a bit...a tad...with some imagination...and maybe a touch of denial...and some cold medicine...like the overdate! Here are a couple of close-ups - the best I can do with my old 4M cam.

cu1is7.jpg

cu2es6.jpg

cu3pb6.jpg

The diagnostics that I can find online mention 1) the mint mark position: the right side of 'E' on the same vertical as the left side of 'D' and 2) a small die crack above the braid.

Well, the mintmark definitely fits and another 1918-D I have has the mintmark much further to the right than this one. But the reverse die could have been used with many 1918s not just the overdate.

cu5sk8.jpg

Here is the die crack. On my coin it is plain as day. Problem is, I can't even see a crack on other pics I have been able to find online, so I don't even know if this one is in the right position.

cu4mk5.jpg

Ok, it is probably *not* the overdate, still I will keep it. Maybe just for S&G, I will take to the next Baltimore show and have an 'expert' look at it over.

I looked up the die break diagnostic in a book today at the coin shop - it is a small hairline crack just above the tie on the brain - looks nothing like the die crack on my coin. So much for that. Yeah, I know what you mean that it looks like a six sometimes - I think it is just a normal 1918-D.

• 2 weeks later...

From comparing it to a certified one on ebay, it appears to be a normal 18-d. On the over date, the insides of the 8 are somewhat diagonal from each other instead of straight up and down. The auction isn't mine, but I thought I would include the link so you can see what I am talking about. 1918-d/7

On another note, many times has my heart went boom boom thinking that I had a SWEET thing, and it turned out later to only be the normal coin. So, I laugh not at you, but with you. :ninja:

Archived