CoinPeople.com

5 Centimes 1862 - Severe Die Clashing

Is this titel right for this coin?

916864.jpg

Thanks in advance

Jos from Belgium

Maybe....When I think of a clashed die, I think of the coin press operating without a planchet. Do that enough times and the dies get scored such that, when you do have a planchet, some elements of one side are scored into the other side dies and end up on the planchet - kind of makes my head hurt - check out the error guide that LD put up here - maybe he can say it a bit more coherently...

Anyways...I am assuming that you are referring to the area under the lion on the obverse...so I will make that red here...

flipped1jf6.jpg

Now let me invert the reverse and make it a little bit transparent like so...

flippedyp2.jpg

Finally, let me move the inverted reverse onto the obverse and see how that part of the '5' lines up with the red area...

flipped2vy8.jpg

Hmmm pretty nice fit, so I say yep, the title is correct - it's a clashed die.....unless I am forgetting something, in which case I say, I don't know what that is either...

:ninja:

Great flip ;)

Yeah, I should've added that the coin was in coin alignment. I tend to forget to say details like that.

Well, I have about 250 coins of that type, with the lion (5 and 10 centimes 1861-1901) and that one has the clearest traces of this specific error.

Most of them have traces of it.

A random example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Belgium-5-Centimes-190...1QQcmdZViewItem

There you can see the inverted C in between the paws of the lion.

Thanks for your replies!

:ninja:

Jos

Archived