CoinPeople.com

Cleaning gold coins?

OomPaul

Hi all

I'm buying gold coins purely as bullion, i.e. they have no real numismatic value. I buy single coins, on the secondary market - some have been handled quite a bit.

I noticed that some 22k Krugerrrands and American Eagles have a really nice shine, while other Krugers and American Eagles are quite dull. Sometimes the dull ones are more recent coins than the shiny ones.

I know that cleaning coins is a no-no for serious collectors, and I know that as a bullion buyer I shouldn't be woried about shine vs. non-shine, but can anybody give me a quick, easy and safe way to restore the shine to these coins?

The variation in tone only seems to affect the 22k coins (Krugerrrands, American Eagles and Britannia)...

Thanks

Why do you want to clean them when you can resell them anytime? As well as, if you really HATE such toning, you can alternatively just wait until you can find better examples. There is a reason why I personally dislike unc gold coins.

True, but I just thought if it's easy, I'd like to get them all looking good.

I actually like the worn (and sometimes dented!) look of circulated gold, and I like being able to handle them without worrying, but a bit of shine looks good.

I know I shouldn't be worried about the look of bullion, but I admit, I like the coins to look pretty...

22k bullion coins are hard to find in Dubai (the place is swamped with new 24k Australian nuggets but Eagles/Krugers etc, are hard to come by) so I take whatever I can find, even if the tone is a bit off.

True, but I just thought if it's easy, I'd like to get them all looking good.

I actually like the worn (and sometimes dented!) look of circulated gold, and I like being able to handle them without worrying, but a bit of shine looks good.

I know I shouldn't be worried about the look of bullion, but I admit, I like the coins to look pretty...

22k bullion coins are hard to find in Dubai (the place is swamped with new 24k Australian nuggets but Eagles/Krugers etc, are hard to come by) so I take whatever I can find, even if the tone is a bit off.

Just wondering; is that because of the practice of making gold chains etc. from .900 fine coins? I like having some gold in 21k chains as well as coins because it looks like plated costume jewelry to the inexperienced crook. Anyway, I'm with you about liking for my gold coins to look clean and shiny. The dullness can simply be dirt of some variety since high karat gold doesn't tarnish.

Try soaking your gold coins in ammonia first. That will cut a variety of common scuzz without being risky to handle like the harsher dips are.

Archived