CoinPeople.com

1 kopek, 1797-EM

bobh

Coin is fine.

Steve

Thank you for all of the replies. Until now, I haven't seriously collected these minor coppers (except for some pyataks of the period of Catherine II). But I am very interested in the meantime! :ninja:

Someone in this forum (can't remember who it was) said that although it is possible to spot a fake coin from the image alone, it is not possible to guarantee that a coin is genuine just going by a picture. I agree, and I think this should be obvious to most people who collect coins.

I will therefore interpret the remarks given to mean that there is nothing in the pictures which might imply that the coin is not genuine. However, I find it very difficult to draw my own conclusions with these earlier (pre-1800) coins going by the images in the references at my disposal. At present, I have Uzdenikov, Bitkin, and Brekke for copper coins. Brekke does mention in the foreword to his book that anyone seriously interested in collecting varieties of earlier dates will need to have the Ilyin reference as well, because there are just too many varieties.

Of course, there is no substitute for the experience and perusal of many real coins, and I am certain that those of you who have responded affirmatively here do have that experience. So I would like to ask: what additional references, which are readily available, are necessary for collecting Russian copper coins of the 18th century? If I can find the Ilyin work and buy it, how far will this take me over and beyond Uzdenikov, Bitkin et al. which I already have? I can read Russian fairly well, so the language isn't much of a problem.

Thanks for your kind support! :lol:

18th Century Cooper References I use:

Brekke + supplement + Brekke sale (Worldwide), Bitkin 2, Ilyin, Uzdenikov, 1974 French reprint of Corpus. You should also check Steve Moulding's website for information on copper coins.

In addition:

M.Diakov 6 volume catalog is a must if you need to look at good quality pictures.

The best color photos of Russian 18 cent. copper you will definitely find in the Ekaterina\MiM 31st auction catalog which is entirely dedicated to this century. I think you can find it with David (eBay nick - valery&valeria), probably Dm.Markov.

In addition:

M.Diakov 6 volume catalog is a must if you need to look at good quality pictures.

The best color photos of Russian 18 cent. copper you will definitely find in the Ekaterina\MiM 31st auction catalog which is entirely dedicated to this century. I think you can find it with David (eBay nick - valery&valeria), probably Dm.Markov.

1. Diakov is nice -- every year is illustrated, but it is hard to find for a reasonable amount. Especially Peter I volume, which is simply hard to find. I was offered the whole set for about $720. I think it is too much.

2. David (valeriavaleria) is not D.Markov :-)

Archived