CoinPeople.com

Numismatic literature for Russian coins:

bobh

As the ancient Romans used to say:

"Знание можность и есть" (or something similar...) :lol:

I'm sure that one can never have enough books at one's disposal. What I would find useful for many, who are perhaps starting out on the adventure of collecting Russian coins, is a "must have" list of references. Assuming that most will have Krause-Mishler anyway, I would propose to build a list of books that any collector should have who is more than casually interested in Russian coins.

Although it would be nice for everyone to have access to all 13 (???) volumes of the compendium put together by the Grand Duke, for example, they are not all that easy to find (and are probably somewhat more expensive than the entire Encyclopaedia Britannica).

Here is my personal list:

A. General reference: Bitkin, Rylov/Sobolin, Uzdenikov

(Bitkin is getting harder to find, though -- I have only a ripped-off CD of scanned pages bought off of eBay, I must confess :ninja: ... every time I see the real thing offered at auction, I am outbid! :cry: );

B. Copper: Brekke;

C. Silver: Julian, Severin (both are somewhat hard to find nowadays -- I still do not own a copy of the Severin silver book);

D. Gold and platinum: Severin (readily available as a reprint and sold on eBay).

The advantage of these books is that they are of relatively recent date, which has the advantage of being able to build on earlier references, and they are quite affordable. Of course, there will be many specialized references (such as Kazakov for Nicholas II) which one could add, as well as periodicals such as the JoRNS and the more important auction catalogs such as Dmitry Markov's N.Y. Sale catalogs.

I would suggest that we put together a list which is as mutually exclusive as possible so that the material in one reference is as little duplicated as possible in the others. Once we have a consensus, we should try to give detailed information (e.g. ISBN numbers if they exist; dealers who are known to sell them) and perhaps post it to the "Links" forum.

What about it, folks??

For those who can read Russian here is a link to a forum 'Staraya Moneta'. They already accumulated all the references:

http://staraya-moneta.coinsportal.ru/viewt...51cdf11149ca9c1

That's quite an impressive list -- I imagined something just like that!

Seems that opinions on the Kazakov catalog are somewhat mixed over there. Since I don't collect jetons, I didn't catch what "bibliograf" (or was it someone else?) was objecting to -- he thinks that Kazakov cheated by using one image and photoshopping it to make 4 different jeton varieties(??). I think it is unfortunate that the book is so expensive and was printed only 1,000 times. But maybe there aren't so many collectors of Nicholas II coins after all?

At the least, we should make a list in English of the works which are also available in English, or bilingual editions.

OK. I have provided more details as well as a link to Amazon.com where applicable. In the case of the Kazakov book, I could only find the one seller on eBay (I bought mine from them, also -- but it was a little cheaper then):

Uzdenikov, V.V.: Russian Coins / Монеты России

# Unknown Binding: 677 pages

# Publisher: Datastrom; Izd. 2., perer. i dop edition (1992)

# Language: Russian/English

# ISBN: 5-7130-0026-5

Brekke, B.F.: The Copper Coinage of Imperial Russia

# Library Binding

# Publisher: Förlagshuset Norden AB, Malmö/Sweden

Galerie des Monnaies of Geneva, Ltd. - 970 Madison Ave., New York NY 10021

(December 1977)

# ISBN: 91-85556-00-9

Language: English

Julian, R.W.: Russian Silver Coinage, 1796-1917

# Hardcover, 120 pages

# Publisher: R.W. Julian (January 1, 1993)

# Language: English

# ASIN: B0006P6E9K

Rylov, I./Sobolin, V.: Russian and Soviet Coins; Catalogue, 1700-1993

# Hardcover

# Publisher: Association Proof Moscow (1994)

# ASIN: B000I9VNFO

Languages: Russian/English

Kazakov, V.V.: Coins of Nicholas II

Hardcover

Publisher: (Unknown? Perhaps "camizdat"?) - Moscow (2004)

Languages: Russian/English

ISBN: 5-87785-034-2

Here's two more I forgot:

Bitkin, Vladimir: Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, 1700-1917

ISBN: 9669550149

Two parts, published in Kiev, 2003

Language: Russian/English

Severin, H.M.: Gold and Platinum Coinage of Imperial Russia from 1701 to 1911

# Hardcover

# Publisher: Sanford J Durst (June 1985)

# Language: English

# ISBN: 094266633X

# Product Dimensions: 0.5 x 6.2 x 9.5 inches

# Shipping Weight: 12.80 ounces

Most of the references here listed are ONLY for Imperial Russian coins, which is just a mere 218 years!

That's why I thought it would be nice to have a joint forum effort. Hardly anybody collects or reads everything!

I'll be looking forward to your additions to this list -- it's just a beginning.

Here is some of my awkward coin books: (I originally started off as a Soviet coin collector)

V.V. Uzdenikov, Moneti Rossii XVIII - nachala XX veka, ocherki po numizmatike, ISBN 5-87613-001-X, Moscow 1994, Izdatelbstvo, printage 50,000

V.V. Uzdenikov, Moneti Rossii XVIII - nachala XX veka, ocherki po numizmatike, ISBN 5-900077-01-3, Moscow 2000, Izdatelbstvo, printage 850

T.A. Aglintseva, E.N. Kukushkina, G.M. Suhonos, L.A. Yurova, President: V.V. Uzdenikov, Proshloe v monetah: Commemorative coins 1832-1991, ISBN 5-279-01063-4, Moscow 1994, "Finance and Statistics", printage 25,000

E.M. Frolov, Katalog metallicheskih bon gosudarstvenno tresta "Arktikugolb" (Spitzburg), Moscow 2002, Izdatelstvo <<Lella Grafiks>> Printage: 300.

Nazarov V.A, Svodnii katalog (Soviet trial coins and projects), Rostov-na-Don 1993, Printage ?

I used to have more catalogue books, which one of the greatest was Fedorov's book, and other minor ones like a book about the Konstantant ruble, and others. Those are what I have at the moment and the rest are somewhere else in the world. :ninja:

I wasn't too satisfied with some of the books particularly with the Soviet trial coins, which I am keen to publish it except I never got around to ask the prices. The last I remember was probably some 200 odd unique illustrations (might be, I don't remember - I will have to check :lol: )

Now, let's see if there is anyone who pops up with any wire kopek catalogues. I find that interesting but it hasn't made me go mad over them yet at the moment.

Archived