CoinPeople.com

Fake 1724 ruble on eBay

RW Julian

The seller was notified that this is a modern counterfeit. It will be interesting to see if the description is changed or the item is withdrawn:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Russia-Russian-Peter-1...1QQcmdZViewItem

The minimum bid is $99 and one person has already bid on this piece. It is worth noting that the reverse has MOHETA incorrectly spelled.

RWJ

Thanks for the alert, RW! :ninja:

This seller seems above board; it's probably an honest error. But you are right: the best thing would be to cancel the auction.

The seller was notified that this is a modern counterfeit. It will be interesting to see if the description is changed or the item is withdrawn:

The minimum bid is $99 and one person has already bid on this piece. It is worth noting that the reverse has MOHETA incorrectly spelled.

RWJ

I just checked and the auction is still running, has 5 bids, 1 day 19 hours to go and the bidding is now up to $115.00 USD.

Will the seller do the honorable thing and cancel this auction? The coin offered is not genuine and a comparison to pictures of known genuine examples of this coin will quickly reveal its false nature.

I just checked and the auction is still running, has 5 bids, 1 day 19 hours to go and the bidding is now up to $115.00 USD.

Will the seller do the honorable thing and cancel this auction?  The coin offered is not genuine and a comparison to pictures of known genuine examples of this coin will quickly reveal its false nature.

The seller never responded to my message. The dies were published as false in the Russian Numismatic Society Journal and I gave him an exact citation. The seller is apparently one of those persons who accept items on consignment and then sells them on eBay for a fee. The owner of the piece is therefore hidden but is probably aware that the piece is a fake.

Some months ago there was a similar situation but in that case the seller did respond and was honest. She informed me that she was selling the item for a person in Russia and would be careful in the future. The piece was withdrawn from sale.

RWJ

Counterfeits are sometimes offered by people of great personal integrity who are unaware of their true nature.

The fact that this auction has not been cancelled after 5 days notice raises grave concerns in my mind. If the sale is completed, I will make a highly negative inference regarding the seller.

RWJ

The piece brought $720, about $710 too much.

RWJ

Archived