CoinPeople.com

ID Help please

elverno

915639.jpg

Won it at coin club tonight. Not sure but it said Constantius II on the flip. But no mention of denomination. Thanks for any help. :ninja:

BTW, is the reverse oriented correctly? I suspect it isn't...

The reverse is oriented correctly. Struck in the 340 to 348 range. Its a small bronze, a nummus? Its part of the Votive series recording public promises made by Roman officials. As I understand it, Vot XX means the 20 year vows have been fulfilled and Mult XXX means they have been extended for another 10 years.

The mint name (actually mintmark) is at the base of the wreath and I can't read it clearly in the picture. If you can spell out the letters you can identify, I can try ti id it in RIC.

Its a common coin.

Looks like SMK (Hearaclea) to me.

I believe you are almost right. It would make sense that the mint mark is SMKA or Cyzicus. That would make the coin RIC 48. The obverse inscription reads D N CONSTAN TIVS P F AVG. Dates to 347-348. Should be about 15-16 mm diameter and 1.67 gm.

Note: I hadn't really used RIC Volume VIII to attribute a coin as yet. It took me a while to figure out how to use it and decipher all the cryptic shorthand notations. Good exercise for me. Thanks for the question.

Archived