CoinPeople.com

5k 1765, no MM ... real or fake?

bobh

LINK

According to Brekke, with the edge design shown, this would have to be either No. 210 (regular strike) or 212 (a novodel). However, the illustration of 210 in Brekke does not match the auction image, and the overall grade of the coin would seem to indicate that it isn't a novodel, either.

Opinions??

That is a good question. I took a look at Uzedenikov, which isn't a terribly good reference since it is generic, and it does not mention the edge type... Funny enough, another seller sold a similar coin last month or two.

It was the same seller (yak0573) and the coin brought $702.50 on June 2; however, the buyer (russianrelics) has now been dropped from eBay and the coin re-offered.

Yak0573 notes that the coin cannot be returned for any reason and the auction is private, both of which are bad omens. These conditions mean that I will not be bidding.

RWJ

The illustration of this coin in Brekke (Br-210) is taken from GM-81 (plate V, #4), which GM designates as "rare". GM notes that the coin shown is from the Panov collection and that there is another similar coin in the British Museum. These are the only examples of the 1765 piatak without mintmark that are mentioned in GM's description.

This coin was missing from the 1932 Adolph Hess sale of "Duplicates from the Russian Museum" collection (a sale which offered one great rarity after another). It was also missing from the Brekke collection, both as an original and as a novodel.

So, such a fabulous rarity turns up on ebay in a private auction with no right of return? I'm extremely skeptical and will be staying well away from this offering.

I wonder if this might be a real coin that has had the mintmark removed?

Winning bid: US $527.00 and the sale is final.

I hope the lucky (?) winner will be happy with it. If it is real, then the buyer got an extreme rarity for a bargain price. If not, it will be an expensive lesson learned.

Archived