CoinPeople.com

1723 rouble

IlyaE

Is this coin original? The neck of Peter looks kind of strange, but maybe it's just me being paranoid about fakes.

There is uncertainty in my mind about this piece. I see two problems:

1) The lack of dentils on either side.

2) The shape of the figure 7, which does not seem to match anything I have on hand.

I have only a small number of photos for this era. Perhaps someone has a coin which mataches?

RWJ

I have only a small number of photos for this era. Perhaps someone has a coin which mataches?

RWJ

I'm almost certain it's fake. The style of the legends is very poorly done.

Here are some real ones for comparison.

post-383-1151327894.jpg

post-383-1151327788.jpg

1723wow.jpg

1723_2.jpg

I'm almost certain it's fake.    The style of the legends is very poorly done.

Here are some real ones for comparison.

I more I look at it, the more I agree with its being bad. Perhaps it is a contemporary counterfeit?

The cruciform reverse (the letter P arranged as a cross), on examination, also does not seem right.

Thanks for the quality photos.

RWJ

I more I look at it, the more I agree with its being bad. Perhaps it is a contemporary counterfeit?

Maybe, but my guess is modern manufacture with artificial aging.

The cruciform reverse (the letter P arranged as a cross), on examination, also does not seem right.

The reverse is badly done. The legends are of particularly strange style and that's what looks the most fake of all to me.

I'm convinced it is fake just based on the style alone. It's looks all wrong to me right from first glance.

Thanks for the quality photos.

RWJ

You're welcome. The coins are not mine and most of the images are from past Gorny & Mosch sales.

Archived