CoinPeople.com

Hess-Divo auction 306 (today)

bobh

Here is the link to the lots: Hess-Divo 306 on www.sixbid.com

I went there to bid only on lot 499, so having to sit through all the other lots, I just took notes of the prices realized (being VERY careful not to move too much, in case they might take my motion to mean a bid!) Unfortunately, that lot went for CHF 6,000 -- I was prepared to bid up to about CHF 2,000 but the opening bid was already CHF 1,900 -- so I just sat back and watched the others. ;) (More about these coins, the only ones I had a look at in person, in a different thread).

Prices are all hammer prices in Swiss Francs excluding 15% buyer's premium plus VAT on the hammer price and the buyer's premium. Since the rate of exchange USD/CHF is about 1.22 or a little less, the hammer price in CHF is about the same amount as the US dollar price including premium and VAT.

Top 10 of the list (in order of lot number):

309, rouble 1704 - CHF 100,000

319, "Sun rouble" 1725 - CHF 46,000

344, "Albertus Thaler 1753" (1762) - CHF 29,000

345, rouble 1762 - CHF 36,000

351, Albertus rouble 1796 - CHF 38,000

362, Portrait rouble pattern 1806 (Novodel) - CHF 55,000

363, Portrait rouble pattern 1807 (original) - CHF 160,000

385, "Family rouble" (Novodel) - CHF 160,000

419, Rouble 1860 - CHF 43,000

422, Rouble 1863 - CHF 42,000

I would estimate that about half of the lots went for between CHF 7,000 - CHF 10,000 each. I must say, I am still in shock! :ninja:

WOW...it never ends!

did you get hammer prices on the Dassier rouble, and the 2 lonely coppers? (1757 1Kop, 1801 2Kop EM)

Привет, белка! Yes, here they are:

Dassier rouble, 1757 (lot 336): CHF 26,000

1 kopeika, 1757 (lot 337): CHF 2,700

2 kopeiki, 1801 (lot 357): CHF 1,100

:ninja:

So I guess the Romanov Tercentenary Rouble might even have made its estimate? :ninja:;)

Well, not quite. There were a few items with estimates which were way too low; most of these were later-date commemorative roubles, including the Romanov 1913 rouble. In those cases, the auctioneer would call out decreasing sums starting with the estimate; someone finally won it at CHF 90 after the first bidder bid CHF 80. It was one of the few humourous moments at the auction! ;)

I believe the lowest price of all was CHF 30 paid for lot 307 (;) maybe I am in error here, though). It appears that, although the auction conditions plainly state that "no bids less than 80% of the estimate" were to be accepted, this was certainly not the case on the floor. On the contrary, it appears that they adhered to the maxim "everything must go".

Привет, белка! Yes, here they are:

Dassier rouble, 1757 (lot 336): CHF 26,000

1 kopeika, 1757 (lot 337): CHF 2,700

2 kopeiki, 1801 (lot 357): CHF 1,100

;)

;);) you made my day.... i think i have 2 1801 2k... im gonna buy a yacht now. Am i missing something about that one, other than the grade? ;) it must have been slabbed :ninja:

;);) you made my day.... i think i have 2 1801 2k... im gonna buy a yacht now. Am i missing something about that one, other than the grade? ;) it must have been slabbed :ninja:

Not slabbed, I think. ;) However, it is possible that some coins were slabbed but not necessarily noted as such in the catalog. There were a few slabbed coins mentioned as slabbed in the catalog, but those were mostly proofs.

As to the grade, I think there were very few coins which would not grade XF or AU at any of the major grading companies. Mr. Sekine DID know how to grade his coins, that's certain. Это удивительно! :D

OFFICIAL NOTE FROM THE OLDMAN:

Dear Friends,

as of today, June 7, 2007, I officially inform you that a numismatist died in the US. He is no longer interested in coin collecting and will auction his "junk" on one of the auctions that will be held this fall.

Best regards from a former numismatist

Dear Friends,

as of today, June 7, 2007, I officially inform you that a numismatist died in the US. He is no longer interested in coin collecting and will auction his "junk" on one of the auctions that will be held this fall.

:ninja:

Dear Friends,

Sorry to learn you have made this decision. ;)

Current price levels might make it much more difficult to buy the kind of stuff you like and so prove frustrating in terms of adding to your collection, but why should that detract from the pleasure you derive from coins you already own? :ninja:

I am in the same situation as you and I am not abandoning my collecting interest - my addiction is too deeply rooted. ;)

Even if you have lost interest in Russian coins as a result, there are still many other areas of collecting which can be pursued and which will not prove as costly. You have the whole world from which to choose. ;)

One of the members of this board has decided to change direction and start collecting coins of Thailand. While I know nothing about Thai numismatics, I believe this decision will prove challenging, intellectually rewarding and almost certainly very affordable for him. ;)

Sorry to learn you have made this decision. ;)

Current price levels might make it much more difficult to buy the kind of stuff you like and so prove frustrating in terms of adding to your collection, but why should that detract from the pleasure you derive from coins you already own? :ninja:

I am in the same situation as you and I am not abandoning my collecting interest - my addiction is too deeply rooted. :D

Even if you have lost interest in Russian coins as a result, there are still many other areas of collecting which can be pursued and which will not prove as costly. You have the whole world from which to choose. ;)

One of the members of this board has decided to change direction and start collecting coins of Thailand. While I know nothing about Thai numismatics, I believe this decision will prove challenging, intellectually rewarding and almost certainly very affordable for him. ;)

Grivna,

thanks a lot for your advise. The problem is that I'm at that age when one can not easily change directions ;) Everyone makes his/her own decision and I believe this is time to stop.

Trully yours,

Grivna,

thanks a lot for your advise. The problem is that I'm at that age when one can not easily change directions ;) Everyone makes his/her own decision and I believe this is time to stop.

Trully yours,

Goodbye and good luck. ;)

Even if you are not collecting, I hope you will continue to participate in this forum. :ninja:

Archived