CoinPeople.com

7 Bourbon Death Medals in 1

DSCN2862-Copy.jpg

LOUIS XVI ROI DE F. NE EN 1754 MORT EN 1793 (Duvivier)

LOUIS XVII ROI DE FR. NE EN 1785 MORT EN 1795 (N.Tiolier)

M.ANTOIN.REINE DE FR. N.EN 1755 M.EN 1793 (Duvivier)

DE B.CONDE DUC D'ENG. NE EN 1772 MORT EN 1804. Louis de Bourbon Condé, duc d'Enghien. (Gatteaux)

ELISABETH DE FRANCE NEE 1764 M.EN 1794 (?)

C.F.DUC DE BERRY NE EN 1778 MORT EN 1820 (Gayrard, Dubois,?)

arranged around

HENRI IV ROI DE FRAN. NE EN 1558 MORT EN 1610 (Droz)

LEVEQUE(Pierre?) EDITEUR, this is a gilt 56mm unifaced galvano/electrotype, one of a collection I have acquired, they are all of superb quality & I will post them later.

Would you call 7 Bourbon death medals in 1 overkill? They were all tragic deaths. I have been unable to find an example online & have no reference for this compilation medal.

EDIT Found the reverse description.

REVERSE:

LA FRANCE STANDING OVER ALTER WITH "A LA MEMOIRE DE HENRI IV ET DES AUG. MEMBRE - DE LA FAMILLE ROYALE QUI ONT PERI - VICTIMES DE LA REVOLUTION - 1820" . IN EXERGUE BELOW.

AROUND THE EDGE: "LE SANG DE VOS ROIS CRIE.ET NEST POINT ÉCOUTÉ.ROMPEX, ROMPEX TOUT PACTE AVEC L'IMPIÉTÉ"

This isn't a medal, Pat. They just forgot to cut them out. :lol:

This is an impressive piece, though and has a very high level of detail. Do you know when this electrotype dates from? I also admire the centre gentleman's beard, I'd better get growing. :grin:

Do you know when this electrotype dates from?

I suspect 1850's-1860's, but it is impossible to be sure, unless you can find historical documentation re a certain electrotype. I will be posting the others I acquired, when time permits, & it was easy to find most of the original medals that they were copied from. Merry xmas Clive.

EDIT; In 1849 the world's most famous electrotype medal was made for the 1815 Battle of Waterloo after medallist Benedetto Pistrucci (1784-1855) had taken three decades to model it. Pinches had to electrolytically cast it because it was too large to strike with a pair of dies.

In 1851 William E. DuBois (1810-1881) begins using electrolysis at the U.S. Mint according to Kenneth Bressett. (Thanks to Julians post below: the date is now 1840 for

electrotypes done at the U.S. Mint by Chief Coiner Franklin Peale.)

In 1860 DuBois replicated the 1804 dollar by electrolysis.

• 1 year later...

Yep they are, I can remember the old Gilbert and other brand chemistry set for kids. When they use to have all kind of dangerous chemicals in them including the nuclear chemistry set that had radioactive material in it. One of the suggested experiments was melting sulfur to a liquid state in a large spoon and then casting a nickle I did it numerous times. it was pretty neat as it shrank just enough that most times the cast popped of in one piece.