CoinPeople.com

Sprechen sie Deutsch??

SlavicScott

All the Deutsch I know is "Ein bier bitte" and "danke schoen"  Do you really need to know anymore than that?

Depends. If you go to a German speaking country (as a tourist) on your own, a little more would come in handy. And if you travel in a tour group, even the two phrases above are not necessary ...

Seriously - if I go to some place where I don't speak the local language, I try to keep in mind what "I don't speak (insert local language), sorry" means in that language. After that, it is usually easier to switch to whatever the other person and I both speak.

(Besides: Beer ... yuck. :ninja: )

Christian

Depends. If you go to a German speaking country (as a tourist) on your own, a little more would come in handy. And if you travel in a tour group, even the two phrases above are not necessary ...

Seriously - if I go to some place where I don't speak the local language, I try to keep in mind what "I don't speak (insert local language), sorry" means in that language. After that, it is usually easier to switch to whatever the other person and I both speak.

(Besides: Beer ... yuck. :ninja: )

Christian

Okay, I admit I probably know a bit more German than that, in fact for all my mumbling about it, I never ordered beer in Germany, just lots of marzipan(food of the gods and cheap there), pizza, strudel etc. And hotel rooms, sleeper cars on the train etc. And I knew enough to buy coins when the occasion chanced :lol:

Marzipan + Münzen = Great Combination. I love it.

:ninja: Christian

Marzipan is one thing about being in Europe I miss most. It is very expensive where I live now, a tenderloin steak cost less by weight. But in Germany I could buy these 1/2 kilo logs of it for only a few DM's. I remember having a bunch of it on the train and trading away hunks of it for fruit, schnapps, etc. Maybe it is in the blood of Germans or something?

I hope sometime to go back, perhaps after my Portugal vacation.

I never tried it but Marzipan should be easy to make

Now in Belgium too it is cheap so I never tried

When in Germany I prefer Weizenbier

I order two because of the foam they have to pour slowly and I have finished the first by the time they have poured the second :ninja:

I never tried it but Marzipan should be easy to make

Now in Belgium too it is cheap so I never tried

Right, marzipan is not really expensive here. But there are considerable differences as far as the quality is concerned. Niederegger, for example (the most famous one in DE) makes marzipan with a high almond content; cheaper marzipans often have more sugar ...

What is interesting (and brings us back to coins!) is the possible origin of the word marzipan. There are many different explanations, and it seems that nobody knows for sure, but the most numismatic one is that "marzipan" is derived from an Arabic word for a kind of lethargic king/ruler. That word - mataban or so - was then ironically used (by Arabs in the times of the Crusades) for a Byzantine coin showing the seated Christ. In the late 12c it was used for a Venetian coin (matapan). No idea whether that is the most likely explanation, since I don't quite see the link to the stuff we can eat, but it's the most appropriate one for CoinPeople. :ninja:

Christian

Archived