CoinPeople.com

Lost Gold of the Republic

Art

The Lost Gold of the Republic

LG_cover_color_72lg.jpg

Lost Gold of the Republic Website

The book is well written and flow nicely. It's very enjoyable to read. There is a great deal of history discussed. I particularly enjoyed the sections that discussed the means of travel available for folks going from the East Coast to the California gold fields. The crossland route through Nicaragua was something I'd read about years ago but had completely forgotten. Interesting information about William Walker and his filibusters who attempted to seize control of Nicaragua to control this valuable land route.

The history of the ship is traced from its "birth" right up to the exploration and retrieval of the gold and silver. (The ship fought on both sides during the Civil War.)

I found the discussions about Odyssey Explorations and how the company was formed and functions to be fascinating.

Read it. You'll enjoy it.

I also have a video of the National Geographic Special that was made while the ship was investigating the wrekage of the Republic and beginning salvage operations. It's a very nice video.

I find the author's name interesting -it is Estonian.

Yes it is. He's Estonian but lives in Manassas, Virginia. I like his writing style. He made the story very interesting while being able to jump from history of the country and ship to the exploration process and so forth.

Archived