CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

Looks like very high relief! And I could tell right away she was a small medal. Who is/are Holy Freres? A popular engraver at the time?

Here's all I know about Holy Freres from grivna1726, a fellow forum member and my hero for this tidbit of information...

"Holy Freres (i.e. "Holy Brothers") was a firm which was established in 1893 at St. Imier in Switzerland. The brothers, Franz Holy & Jules Holy directed it. They were watch-case manufacturers & diesinkers.

They eventually branched out into medal making. Forrer lists a number of medals and it appears the firm was most active in medal making from 1903-1911 (some medals are undated and might have been produced later)."

I like their medals so much that I am trying to compile a complete collection of all 50+ that they designed. Pretty much the impossible dream, but Rod and his dad have helped a LOT.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I very happy you like the medal Kim :ninja:

I couldn't possibly be any happier with this medal. One of a kind this nice.

And I am stockpiling my overtime hours in hope of relieving you and your dad of more Holy Freres gold medals that you may stumble upon.

I couldn't possibly be any happier with this medal. One of a kind this nice.

And I am stockpiling my overtime hours in hope of relieving you and your dad of more Holy Freres gold medals that you may stumble upon.

It will be our pleasure Kim and I hope we can oblige.

It will be our pleasure Kim and I hope we can oblige.

I'm working three hours overtime on Saturday. And until college starts again in August (another 4 years ;) ) overtime buys coins.

And Schutzenfest medals.

I watch your Sunday night auctions with great interest. Oh, wait, that was my secret... :ninja:

• 1 month later...

All I can say is WOW WOW WOW! What a beauty! I have heard that these shooting medals are expensive. True or not?

It's a beauty. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Art for sub posting your NGC Registery Sets. I have never viewed any set prior to viewing yours. Congrats on both sets. Mud

All I can say is WOW WOW WOW! What a beauty! I have heard that these shooting medals are expensive. True or not?

It depends upon what your idea of "expensive" is (really).

Based upon their rarity, most (in my opinion) are relatively inexpensive as the series is (again, my opinion) underappreciated and undercollected.

They are classically beautiful in their design and most were issued in tiny mintages. I like them very much, but do not collect them, because I need to maintain some sort of discipline in my collecting activity.

.....underappreciated and undercollected.

They are classically beautiful in their design and most were issued in tiny mintages. I like them very much, but do not collect them, because I need to maintain some sort of discipline in my collecting activity.

Well said as always Grivna.

I lack discipline and merely collect what interests me, and I find the Schutzenfest medals VERY interesting.

Thanks for posting those photos Zohar, and welcome to CP. Your 1897 Olten is a beauty! :ninja:

It depends upon what your idea of "expensive" is (really).

Based upon their rarity, most (in my opinion) are relatively inexpensive as the series is (again, my opinion) underappreciated and undercollected.

Thanks Grivna for the most excellent reply to my 1st reply. Yes, I too lack discipline to collect a set of anything. I simply accumulate things that please my eye!

• 4 months later...

Especially since there are good looking ladies on shooting medals. Beware the depths of Scottish desire!

You really really do not want to compete with me in collecting things. :ninja:

Suddenly I am nervous. VERY nervous... ;)

The good ones are nearly impossible to find, unless you have the resources to attend the European auctions.

Which apparently you do...

If you gather any Holy Freres medals along the way that I need that you are not in love with, I'll pay your price.

• 3 weeks later...

Rod - If you ever resume your Schutzenfest auctions, either on your own website or on eBay, please let me know so I don't miss them.

And don't bother telling Scottishmoney, I'm sure he wouldn't be interested in the least... :ninja:

I have been looking, love those feminine themes on them, there is one "Pro Patria" up there in the thread that I would love to have.

The 1894 Luzern "Pro Patria" medal is quite a beauty and I have seen it offered once or twice in the past few years on eBay. It's not as rare as you might think.

I have two or three nice Schutzenfest medals that I bought years ago before I decided to concentrate on the Holy Freres designs that I could be persuaded to part with that feature feminine themes. PM me and I'll send you scans if you like.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All You Swiss Shooting Medal Collectors!

I am new to the forum but have been collecting SSMs and shooting thalers for about five years.

My question to the forum is:

What do you think about the slabbing of Swiss Shooting Medals? I see that NGC is doing that currently but not sure how they arrived at their grading standards. I am sure that slabbing will eventually add value and a wider acceptance of the collecting of the medals but I sure like to be able to see and hold them without the plastic in the way.

Has anyone had their Swiss Shooting Medals slabbed by NGC? And if so, how was the grade you received compared to what you had anticipated?

TTM5 - I certified about two dozen of my better Schutzenfest medals recently and the grades that NGC assigned were very close to what I thought were correct. A few came back as AU58 that I felt were MS61-MS62, while others did far better than I imagined.

Overall I was happy with the results. And I'm glad I didn't certify them all because I don't want them all encased in plastic.

Scottishmoney, you should have your own cable TV comedy show. Maybe sell some gold plated state quarter sets and other "valuable collectibles"... :ninja:

Hi All You Swiss Shooting Medal Collectors!

I am new to the forum but have been collecting SSMs and shooting thalers for about five years.

My question to the forum is:

What do you think about the slabbing of Swiss Shooting Medals? I see that NGC is doing that currently but not sure how they arrived at their grading standards. I am sure that slabbing will eventually add value and a wider acceptance of the collecting of the medals but I sure like to be able to see and hold them without the plastic in the way.

Has anyone had their Swiss Shooting Medals slabbed by NGC? And if so, how was the grade you received compared to what you had anticipated?

I am soooo against `slabbing', especially very 3 dimensional medals such as these. What on earth do US `slabbers' such as NGC know about European coins and medals? Providing a service ?....or a dis-service? That would depend upon the indiyidual's own set of values and detwermination, but for me it is a big no-no.

Ian

I am soooo against `slabbing', especially very 3 dimensional medals such as these. What on earth do US `slabbers' such as NGC know about European coins and medals? Providing a service ?....or a dis-service? That would depend upon the indiyidual's own set of values and detwermination, but for me it is a big no-no.

Ian

Slabs are for "investors" not purists collectors. When at all possible I like to liberate my coins.