CoinPeople.com

China Test/Training Note

Dave M

I picked this up for curiosity's sake, and am trying to learn a bit about it. Can't find any reference in my French catalogs, and I don't own a Chinese banknote catalog to see if there might be a mention. It was sold as a Bank of China Training Money note. I think the French term would be "Billet Scolaire". It is uniface, a typographed copy of the French note, with typographed overprint. I think the two upper characters translate like "ticket sample" which makes sense, and I'm real curious as to what the three lower characters might say.

full.jpg

The reverse is printed in yellow, pretty much impossible to read, but I've turned it blue and enlarged it quite a bit for easier reading, and left it reversed as it is on the note.

back.jpg

Any information will be appreciated, even if it is "that's junk" - I didn't pay enough to worry :ninja:

Dave

Thanks for this post!

I've always wondered about these. I've seen Chinese Bank/Teller Training notes offered before online, but was curious why they'd use old foreign money. I was thinking that perhaps they used old money that was in their coffers when the notes became obsolete or something. But if they're printing facsimiles, then that brings to mind that they were likely (then) current examples of foreign money they would be trading in.

Do you know if your example printed on the same type of paper the Hell banknotes or is it different?

Do you know if your example printed on the same type of paper the Hell banknotes or is it different?

It's definitely a facsimile, something that could be made on a color laser printer these days. I've never had a hell note in my hands, but this paper looks like copy machine paper, I suppose. Nothing "banknotey" about it.

The second Chinese line does read "training purpose bill". Very interesting!

A, cool! So the first line you can't read?

I'm still stuck on why they'd use a French note for this purpose - I don't know the connection.

Thanks guys, still a bit of a mystery, but glad to not have heard "that's from a Chinese Monopoly game" :ninja:

Dave

I thought you had the first line translated Dave. It's something like ticket sample or something.

Ah, okay. When you said the second line read "training purpose bill" I thought maybe my other reference of "ticket sample" was in fact the second line as well. Just seemed a bit redundant to say both, but I guess it's not.

Thanks much!

Dave

• 1 year later...

Although this is a very old posting and although I do not see any picture of a banknote in this thread I will try to answer.

There are two types of training notes in China:

1) copies of foreign money, like Deutsch Mark, French Francs, Pritish Pouns, Japanese Yen, and others, with Chinese overprint "training notes".

People working in a bank are given a certain amount of these notes and they train "exchanging foreign money against Renminbi", that is buying and selling foreign money.

2) notes that have no real counterparts, they are entirely Chinese and do not resemple real notes, they are mostly monochrome (exceptions exist). Every larger bank has its own series, with its bank name on front or back.. With these notes those who begin to work in a bank must train counting banknotes (many banks only recently got counting mashines). A good friend of me was general manager of a bank in Zoushan city. He proudly showed me the persons working in his bank training how to count money...

There were even competitions in China, to find out who can count fastest. These competitions are on rather local levels, then on a provincial level and finally for whole China...

I guess there are at least 5000 different notes of the 2nd type. Often you can find on a flea market in China bundles of about 100 pieces, to be sold for 1-2 dollars for the bundle.

Erwin

P.S.: Sorry if my English is not perfect

Archived