CoinPeople.com

Lord's Prayer Tokens

Thank you for sharing. Note the American use of "who art" versus the British "which art."

Noting also the differences between the Catholic and Protestant versions.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Noting also the differences between the Catholic and Protestant versions.

The next step is to start noting the stylistic similarities and differences. Some are obvious, some will take a little more work. I almost of a large enough sample to start grouping the medals and beginning to identify the different manufacturers.

• 2 months later...

I've missed a few tokens recently on Ebay, but I did manage to snag this National Guard Encampment Badge from 1911:

4651911446_deee6e0984_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Far from the smallest, although the text is small. It does claim to be the smallest page ever coined. Close, but its not actually the smallest. It is an early use of aluminum (1892) and it is an early California die sinker (C.A. Klinkner).

982320.jpg

Occasionally your tokens have addresses on them. Do you ever go to Google Maps and see if the building still exists?

I know the approximate location of the building and it housed several die sinkers in early San Francisco (actually maybe all of them). The building burned in the 1906 earthquake. The area is very different today.

• 1 month later...

My latest, from the 1905 Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition in Portland. One normally thinks of encased cents, but this is an encased Lord's Prayer token with the exposition logo design on the obverse.

983682.jpg

• 7 months later...

I spent the last two weeks attending WESTS and the ANA in Sacramento. I bought a new Lord's Prayer token and a Dino-Lite digital microscope. The digital microscope is not my first choice for coin photography, but it is good for die studies and things like making measurements. The lettering here is 0.329mm high.

5551575971_4acdd6fe5e_b.jpg

I actually bought two of these. The second corrected the spelling and changed the reverse die style, same Lord's Prayer. Kappan notes that the two tokens share the same obverse, but obviously they do not. Aluminum would be the correct spelling, even in San Francisco at the time.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My latest acquisition is also part of another collecting interest, early California celebrations. This piece is from the 1909 Portola Exposition in San Francisco, in part intended to stimulate the economy after the 1906 earthquake.

992793.jpg

My latest acquisition is also part of another collecting interest, early California celebrations. This piece is from the 1909 Portola Exposition in San Francisco, in part intended to stimulate the economy after the 1906 earthquake.

992793.jpg

I'm sure it stimulated something!

ALso, interesting (but not surprising) that the economy still needed stimulation that long afterwards. I guess New Orleans is still recovering too.

Probably a common SCD but thought i'd add the photo anyway...

Hibler & Kappen 479, the Protestant version of the SCD. One of the exhibition halls at the fair was devoted to religions.

• 1 month later...

My latest. I suspect it dates to 1895 to 1900 or so.

994765.jpg

and one on a 1909 Orengemen Badge (whoever they are):

9396487673_48ffc3a314_b.jpg

I have not yet had any luck discovering who the Orengemen might be. It might be the Irish Protestant Orangemen, but I am not certain.

• 2 years later...

It has been awhile and then I added three new pieces in one day:

The first a William Penn piece from 1893, perhaps a Columbian Exposition piece since 1682 to 1893 does not seem to correspond to a regular celebration date. The medal itself is 14mm.

1022022.jpg

Another 14mm medal, this one for William McKinley. I am guessing it is about 1900. The hole suggests it was worn on a ribbon, either for his campaign, inaugaration, or perhaps his funeral.

1022024.jpg

And the last suspended on a stickpin from the 1901 Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo, New York. The Niagara Falls souvenir is 19mm.

9704867709_5cdaac5c85_b.jpg

Some others I forgot to post earlier:

1901 Pan-American Exposition:

5059263198_020ac47ed8_b.jpg

1909 St. Louis Centennial:

7390716630_9286170e42_b.jpg

1909 Hudson-Fulton Celebration (I like the hanger as well as the medal):

8437534322_321de92fbf_b.jpg

1915 Panama Canal Completion Exposition in San Francisco:

7714785160_d995f1878c_b.jpg