CoinPeople.com

1 Ruble 1834, Unveiling Alexandrine Column

gxseries

The first Imperial Russian Commemorative coin ever minted in Saint Petersburg.

18349rw.jpg

A fairly difficult coin to get hold of, but still relatively easy compared to the rest of the Imperial Russian commemorative coins.

There exists proof qualities like the above picture, (it may not seem to be like a proof coin, but it is!!!) but they are exceeding scarce, if not almost impossible to locate.

P.S. I do have a book about this, which my friend and I translated. :ninja: I think Tane will be the first one here to read about it. ;)

Edited by gxseries

A fairly difficult coin to get hold of, but still relatively easy compared to the rest of the Imperial Russian commemorative coins.

There were 3 up for auction at the last auction the SNY had here. I was tempted, but even my highest bid would have been doubled!

A great coin! I want one too! :ninja:

The first Imperial Russian Commemorative coin ever minted in Saint Petersburg.

Actually it is the third one ;)

The earlier ones were:

5 Kopeks 1757 СПM (Struck to commemorate the introduction of new technology of producing coins out of cannon at Sestroretsk mint, extremely rare coin. It is similar to the normal EII-prjanik)

5 Roubles 1832 (Struck to commemorate the gold found at the Kolyvan mines)

Suprisingly, that 1757 coin was lost ages ago ;) No coin catalogues have a picture of it, except for a novodel.

I guess I only call this the first, because the Kolyvan gold mine commemorative coin is just too little to be considered for any type of circulation, or almost meaningless sometimes. I mean, 1000 coins is like... a Tsar could have invited that much people into his parties, and given them all out, just like the Marriage ruble. ;) But yes, the Kolyvan gold coin is probably the first. :ninja:

(Grrr... I still can't figure out how to use the quote function :ninja: Tried to quote Sir Sisu ;) )

Yes, they are ridiciously expensive nowadays, I don't know what is causing them to explode in values within just TWO years ;)

I'm assuming that the Russians are getting rich nowadays... :lol:

Yes, and the old russian coins are becoming very popular. We have to hurry before they get way too expensive :cry:

Grr... I want to change the title so that it will fit like yours Tane, but I still can't figure out how :ninja: And I have to change the subheading to the first silver commemorative coin... ;)

Indeed, Russian coins are hitting horribly scary prices that I have never seen before in just two years... I am shocked. I mean, if this is a stock market... you can see the graph hitting rocket high. ;)

Grr... I want to change the title so that it will fit like yours Tane, but I still can't figure out how ;) And I have to change the subheading to the first silver commemorative coin... ;)

Done :ninja:

Well honestly, I don't know if I am going to see anything more beautiful than this. Gube's work on this 1834 ruble and the 1839 ruble are insane stunning. (but I think, this is his best work) So stunning that the Russian mintmasters had to "copy" his design of Alexsander I later on in 2002 on the 25 ruble silver coin. ;)

http://www.cbr.ru/eng/bank-notes_coins/Bas...t_num=5115-0030

Also, the Column itself is another masterpiece, every single details of the bottom of the column is there, which is indeed quite difficult to work with such micro scale. You can even see the lines in the gates! The angel at the top has also wings that are quite defined... it's almost indescrible... the only disappointing about that angel is that, her / it's face is nothing more than a dot. :ninja:

I will try to scan an ultra XXL size later on, when I get back home... which is like months away... ;)

• 1 month later...

XXXXXXXXXL scan size (overaggerated I guess :ninja: )

But yes, anyways, here are my scans of the two Alexandrine ruble coins that I have. One is a total banged up F+ coin and the other is somewhat a proof or prooflike coin (or a mishandled proof if you like to call it). P.S. Note of the hair detail on the obverse and the column details at the reverse. They are very stunning...

Banged up version:

18342front5th.jpg

18342back0jv.jpg

High Quality version:

1834prooflike2front2tw.jpg

1834prooflike2back9pg.jpg

Once again, looking at the column, from the bottom, you have the finest details of the gates, then the crest, supposingly you should be able to see some emblem and then you see some criss-cross sign on the column. At the top of the column, you see an angel on the cross. You can even see the details on the feather!!! Pity that the head is just a dot, but honestly, this is an image that I blew up to 400% of the original size; the original size of the coin is only approximately 36mm!!!

A ruble that you must get... provided that the price is just right... ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...