CoinPeople.com

A New error? I don't know!

I'm am just a retired novice collectorand I enjoy eyeballing all coins. While going through a pile of wheaties last night, I came across a mark that has me baffled. The coin is a 1952-D Lincoln. The marking is on the 'D' At the top of the D there is a horizonal line as thick as the back of the D, but then there appears to be a lava flow look under the horizontal line. Try thig of it as a 'Harley Davidson Wing off the back of the D mintmark. As soon as I figure out how I can have a scanned image of the marking published for viewing.

D.

i think die chip :ninja:

I would be more inclined to he die chip. When looking at it through a 20x loupe, it has all the indicators of a chip missing. I'll work on a better photo and submit. Thanks for the replies people. I'll be Back!

File0004.jpgFile0004.jpg

u welcome ;) an we'll be waitin :ninja:

OK, gang, I finally figured out how to use the college libraryFile0002.jpg scanner. I hope this will shed some light on the subject.

File0004.jpg]File0004.jpg

u welcome ;) an we'll be waitin :ninja:

OK, gang, I finally figured out how to use the college libraries scanner. I hope this will shed some light on the subject.

File0002.jpg

1952.jpg1952d.jpgI tried a little editing software. This system is new to me. I had an old dinosaur. This one, 4yr old Dell, my younger brother felt sorry for me and gave me this one. Mainly he didn't want to transport it to his new USCG posting. Anyway, I'll make some kind of attempt to put some other pics up. I got a call in to coppercoins to see if they'll let me send it to them for whatever service they are providing. I've stared at this coin for so long so many times, I have no doubt that it is a mint error. A die chip in progress as the metal looks like it pushed over on itself giving it the flow of slow lava would be the best description I can come up with. No matter how many pictures I take of it, holding it and using a 10x & 20x loupe on it is a charge. I'll kep ya'll informed. :ninja:

hmm cant be a die crack right? cause the line is 2 straight. hmm i think gx might be on 2 some thing... must ask other error experts :ninja:

After eyeballen this coin for the amount of time I've spent, I've come up with only just a few possibilities. I sent coppercoins a note & picture. Haven't heard back as of yet. I am more inclined to go with the die gouge idea. The flowing metal looks like it was the start of the chunk coming off. One thing I know for sure is that it was not damaged after minting.

I do need from you guys is "Do I go ahead and list it, to see how much of an interest it creates? or Do I sit on it and wait for?. Whatever ideas you guys may have, I'll will most suredly listen to all ideas.

I'm kinda in a state of wonder. Help!

After eyeballen this coin for the amount of time I've spent, I've come up with only just a few possibilities. I sent coppercoins a note & picture. Haven't heard back as of yet. I am more inclined to go with the die gouge idea. The flowing metal looks like it was the start of the chunk coming off. One thing I know for sure is that it was not damaged after minting.

I do need from you guys is "Do I go ahead and list it, to see how much of an interest it creates? or Do I sit on it and wait for?. Whatever ideas you guys may have, I'll will most suredly listen to all ideas.

I'm kinda in a state of wonder. Help!

i think u should post it!!!

Archived