CoinPeople.com

What coins look nice when they are worn?

gxseries

Often when coins are minted fresh, most designs are as stunning as they can be from the designer.

But how would anyone imagine a design can be like when it wears down. I personally don't think I can say much worn coins are pretty. Do you have any worn coins that might be considered as pretty even though the wear? By wear, I am assuming a grade of F or worse.

US Barber Quarters and Half Dollars are a design that I think look better in the VG-VF range than they do in uncirculated. As long as they haven't been cleaned and have worn evenly.

Often when coins are minted fresh, most designs are as stunning as they can be from the designer.

But how would anyone imagine a design can be like when it wears down. I personally don't think I can say much worn coins are pretty. Do you have any worn coins that might be considered as pretty even though the wear? By wear, I am assuming a grade of F or worse.

Well, except in the case of something like a beat up MS60 versus a nice EF/AU, I have to admit that MS coins look better - but I can't always collect them.

But I think there are many coins that have a lot of eye appeal when circulated...here are a few of my favorites...

900333.jpg

900149.jpg

912419.jpg

904294.jpg

900345.jpg

For world coins, the first thing that comes to mind for me is Imperial Chinese silver coins. The dragon wears quite well, which leads to the coins often being overgraded.

I also like the following down to VG:

Canadian George VI and Elizabeth II Young Head

British Pennies and Halfpennies -1860

Fiji sixpence (okay, that was a biased pick)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived