CoinPeople.com

Merovingian silver deniers

bill

Roberts notes that approximately 4,000 silver deniers have survived to represent the Merovingian period of France. Its not surprising, they are small, averaging about 1 gram each. They are not much to look at and exceptional portraits command exceptional prices.

The first is attributed to the Burgundy region, specifically Cabilonnvm (modern Chalon-sur-Saône). On the obverse is a christogram style cross with surrounding legend (illegible). The reverse features a cross with pellets in each quarter and legend (illegible). The legend (in a degenerate Merovingian script) reads CA BL ON NO. Depeyrot notes 21 known examples of this specific variety, and 91 of all varieties.

913378.jpg

The second is attributed to the Tours region, specifically Châteaudun, ca. 670 - 750 A.D. Pellet style deniers for Peppin and Charlemagne seemly confirm the attribution. On the obverse, a globule in pellet circle with outer inscription (not deciphered). The inscription is likely DUNOS in the degenerate Merovingian script. The reverse features a pentalpha with pellets in each quarter and center. Depeyrot notes 1 example (2 counting all variants), but I've noted at least 3 others in sales in addition to mine. While mine grades EF, it could be considered the equivalent of uncirculated.

913377.jpg

The most common silver deniers of the Merovingian period are from Marseilles thanks to the discover of a hoard of some 1200 pieces. The most common are attributed to the patrician Nemfidius. My next piece is one of Nemfidius, dated 700 to 710 A.D. The obverse features a bust facing right. These are sometimes hard to see! The reverse is a cross with legend, +NI•F•DVS. Depeyrot notes 116 of this type and just over 1200 of all Nemfidius bust varieties.

913379.jpg

The last for this post is also from Marseilles ca. 710 - 720 A.D. It is suspected to be a degenerate form of the Nemfidius deniers. The obverse features a cross and M monogram. The reverse has a cross and OCAC. Depeyrot notes 39 examples of this type.

913376.jpg

This branch of my collection started with the Nemfidius bust as a representative type. The other three have come along as opportunistic purchases. They were available, I liked them, I could afford them, so I bought them. I have yet to branch into the gold pieces, more numerous, many of far better style, and more expensive.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I had not seen or heard of these before. Is the 4000 estimate all surviving coins or just tose from a particular area?

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I had not seen or heard of these before. Is the 4000 estimate all surviving coins or just tose from a particular area?

Its an estimate for all surviving silver deniers of the period. Its based mostly on hoards and counts from hoards. Gold coins from the period are probably more numerous although more expensive. The period is a time of a gold standard for exchange slowly evolving to a silver standard (with Charlemagne making the full transition with the more familiar silver denier or penny of the Middle Ages). Their small size, probably limited distribution, and the changing economy likely contributed to their limited survival rate.

• 1 month later...

Archived