CoinPeople.com

2006 cent US

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

In the 1990s, the mint started doing what was called a single squeezed hubbing process. To make a long story short that meant that when a hub was impressed into a piece of metal to make a die, the impression was only made once.

Die doubling is the result of multiple hubbings the way it was done prior to the single squeeze technology, that were not properly lined up. That resulted in doubled (or tripled , or even quadrupled) images in some dies. Coins struck by those dies are doubled die , tripled die, quadrupled die etc. varieities.

The single squeeze process was supposed to eliminate die doubling since one squeeze of the hub into the metal to make a die would make multiple images impossible.

Well, something "ain't" working :-) I've seen doubled die strikes on cents dated 2003, 2005 and 2006 from the Philly and the Denver Mints. There were numerous doubled die varieties on the Jefferson nickels during this period as well.

It's not supposed to happen yet they are.

That's the story. They are actually interesting but I have to be honest in saying they seem very common on 2006 D cents, I've seen a ton of them. That's not to say they don't have value. That also doesnt mean that some of the nickel varieties arent worth much as they are extremely scarce. I am just not sure of what the cents are "really" worth since I am finding so many.

Have Fun,

Bill

Archived