CoinPeople.com

anyone know of the TPG 'SEGS'?

Doogy

thinking of buying a nice looking US gold coin that has been certified by 'SEGS'.  Anyone know these guys, and can vouch for the quality (or lack of) of their grading practices?  thanks!

Doug

The guy who founded it (and probably still runs it) was a legitimate dealer. But the marketplace consensus is that the grades are not as accurate or strict as those in NGC, PCGS or ANACS holders. There has never been a real market acceptance of the holders. But, if you like coin there's no reason not to buy.

The guy who founded it (and probably still runs it) was a legitimate dealer.  But the marketplace consensus is that the grades are not as accurate or strict as those in NGC, PCGS or ANACS holders.  There has never been a real market acceptance of the holders.  But, if you like coin there's no reason not to buy.

thanks for the input! The price seems to be right; it is graded MS62 by SEGS. By looking at it, one of the 'big 3' would still grade it at least MS60. The coin is being sold at AU value, so I guess it won't be that big of a risk either way; just wanted some feedback from the forum. thanks again!

Doug

Look at the consultants on their web page SEGS they are all respectable. Assuming the market is right, you won't get any bad, cleaned, or horribly overgraded coins and at a disounted price it seems a safe bet.

SEGS...

The person who started SEGS, Larry Briggs, a local rare coin dealer here.

I have no beef with Larry (a good friend supposedly suggested to Larry about the topview, which is now being used by ANACS), but I opt away from SEGS without being able to view the coin in hand due to the inconsistency in their grading. Some coins are graded accurately, some are not.

I am a firm believer in grade the coin, not the slab.

Hope this helps!

Jordan

Archived