CoinPeople.com

Note from Philippines

Coinjoe2006

I've had this note for a while now. It was a bonus that somebody threw in from an auction on ebay. Its from the Philippines and its a "Victory" note. I always assumed that it was from WW2. But I just read the small print on the top of the bill, and it says, "By authority of an act of the Philippine Legistature, approved by the President of the United States, June 13, 1922. Its a 1 peso note, and its "Payable to the bearer on demand in silver pesos or in legal tender currency of the United States of equivalent value" It also says that "Victory series No. 66" and on the back, in the center it says "One Philippines Peso" and over that in big black letters in the word "Victory" does anybody know anything about this note???

Yes, but it doesnt say Central Bank of the Philippines on the back

This red lettering is an overprint. The Victory series was introduced Oct. 22 1944, when Gen. McArthur arrived, and was printed until 1949.

But I have seen more notes like it with different dates...I have seen one from 1922, 1936, and 1945 on ebay.

Nope. The 1922 date is for the original legislation authorizing the issue of Philippine Treasury notes. There were subsequent series dates [1924, 1929, 1936, 1941] related to changes in the signatures and creation of the Commonwealth. The "Victory" series are the only one's with blue serials and seals. There were no earlier series which were overprinted with the big black "Victory" on the back. Any earlier series which have such are spurious, unofficial issues.

After the war, the Central Bamk overprinted the notes on hand. Which brings to mind a very serious issue in my mind, being, how did they overprint so many single notes and keep such a consistant registry of the overprint? Overprinting sheets is less of a problem because a sheet is larger and easier to feed into a press.

HTH...

Oh ok! Thanks guys! SSo is there any way to actually tell what year it is from?

Well, MacArthur's troops brought them in when they landed in October of 1944. After that they were issued either as issues under the US ['till July 4, 1946] or as issues of the Central Bank of the Phillipines up to 1949. So, their years of issue would be 1944 to 1949.

Well, MacArthur's troops brought them in when they landed in October of 1944.  After that they were issued either as issues under the US ['till July 4, 1946] or as issues of the Central Bank of the Phillipines up to 1949.  So, their years of issue would be 1944 to 1949.

Thank you!