CoinPeople.com

Palladium coins

susieq

Re. palladium Emus, I have the entire sets, bought a couple of years ago for about AUD2640 - I bought the 1995 first, then couldn't resist adding the others, though at the time the price seemed steep. I have the three certificates, the three wooden boxes, and the big box with the catalogue that they fit into - pretty cool.

Here are the mintages (obtained directly from the Perth Mint):

1995 Proof 2,500

1996 Proof 1,144

1997 Proof 769

They are my favorite coins, and I may buy more if the price is right. I think buying the the 1996 and especially the 1997 coin even at AUD 1000+ may not be a bad investment since they're relatively scarce; the actual number still around may be very low, since some may have been sold for industrial when palladium hit $US1000+ per ounce. These coins could show serious appreciation in the coming years, even if the price of palladium doesn't continue to rise.

I also own the Hutt River fantasy "coin", the $100 Nuclear Fusion Experiments, plus all four Portuguese palladium coins, the recent 1/2 oz palladium Pandas, and the 1987 Bermuda Sea Venture, plus some palladium Maple Leaf and Stillwater Rounds for investments in the metal.

I'll probably add the 1989 Panda and then stop, since I don't really care for the Russian Ballerinas, the French, or the Tonga palladium coins. The nice thing about collecting palladium bullion coins is that there are so few :ninja: .

Otherwise I pretty much only collect the 1 oz gold Perth Mint Lunar series (four sets) and the gold Chinese Unicorns, though I am looking for the 1 oz gold Bosnia horse coins (can't find them anywhere) if anyone knows of any for sale.

Best,

susieq

Currently I believe only Canada and China (though I haven't seen a 2006 Panda), but in the past Russia (they're a major palladium producer), Australia, France, Portugal, Bermuda, Isle of Man, Sierra Leone, Switzerland, Tonga, and Western Samoa.

Unfortunately all my coins except the Hutt River are in the bank, but Peter Strich has nice pictures of the Emus on his website -

http://www.peterstrich.com.au/oz_coins/sov...n/palladium.htm

and the Pandas and Maple Leafs and Bermuda coins are readily found on eBay.

I'll try to upload a scan of the Hutt River coin, and the Portuguese coins when I receive them.

I've uploaded the Hutt River "coin" to Omni Coin. The story behind Hutt River is pretty amusing - they have a website - the "Provence" still exists in Australia as a tourist destination, but since being sued by the USPS in the 1990s for promoting their medallions as "coins" it no longer mints "money".

susieq, to link the pic into your post so it displays automagically...view the enlarged photo at omni - right mouseclick - properties - cut and paste the address of the pic...

in this case, http://www.omnicoin.com/coins/910442.jpg

click IMG on the posting page and paste the address into the pop-up window (or add the tags yourself).

910442.jpg

nice coin!

Archived