CoinPeople.com

Where can I ever find the 1724 copper kopek?

gxseries

In order to complete a general type set of circulated Imperial Russian copper coinage, one of the rarest and possibly the key to it is a 1724 copper kopek. Although the others may prove to be a challenge, such as the scarce 1762 and 1796 mad overstriked coins, as well as smaller copper denomination of Alexsander I, I believe the 1724 kopek is a nightmare to look out for.

Ironically, even bad copies of such go over 50 dollars easily and I tried to bid on such just to fill a painful hole.

The last I have seen for sale is at Alexsander Basok's site a long long time ago, but I am not likely to see one very soon.

Another painful mistake that I missed was that I remember seeing an overstucked Anna denga over the rare 1724 kopek for sale, and I never saw another example like that ever again :cry: Ironically that was a period of time when I refused to collect overstrucked coins because of their total ugliness. :ninja:;):lol:

The 1724 kopek is a very rare type. Conros values it at $750 in VF or $1500 for the variety with land under the horse, so if you find a real one, you can be sure that it won't be cheap.

Some of them show clear evidence of overstriking on the 1704-18 denga type.

Archived