CoinPeople.com

What would this be called?

Looking thru the rolls of 2001 halves I just got from the mint looks like Philadelphia is lacking Q.C. I don't think any of these would make 63's Sorry about the quality of the pictures but until I get a camera with a good macro mode....

A large percentage looked like a bad tinning job had been done.

2001psolderlookrev.jpg

2001psolderlooklargerev.jpg

The whole coin is wavy? And indestinct. With normal eyesight it looks hazy, closer up it does look like someone attempted a tinning job on it. Anybody knows what causes this?

Not an error, but since it was in the same batch.

One more from Philadelphia. A thin die crack from the rim along the base of the bust in to the initials. 3 of these turned up. It is just noticable without magnifaction.

2001pdiecrack.jpg

Now the Denver mint looked good. One may be a 68. The rest were pretty solid. Even at 30x.

Well, I have six of the same thing. And one worse. Here's one with it covering the entire reverse.

2001pdieflowrev.jpg

The others have it also just not as much as this one. It seems to slack off toward the bottom.

• 3 weeks later...

I have two sac dollars with this same effect on their obverses, the only thing is all the lettering is doubled as well. I assumed it was something called machine doubling, but because the surface is so bad I wasn't sure. Have a look and let me know eh?

sac_DDO.jpg

sac_DDO_D_.jpg

I am not big on coin errors, but when I got these two out of a roll of dollars it made my day for sure. I'm keeping the hardest doubled one and trying my luck on ebay with the other. Because I don't really collect errors I only see the need for the one, and that's only because it's the first real error coin I've ever found. Gatta love the high standards at the mint eh? heh.

Archived