CoinPeople.com

Georgian coinage during short Russian era

gxseries

While catalogued under Uzedenikov, and I currently failing to understand what kind of relationship Georgia had with Imperial Russia, here are some interesting coinages that were up on the bay. Price wise, it's a :ninja:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Pricewise was a shock to me :lol:

What pained me was that there was a dealer who sold such silver Abaz and Double Abaz coins, well at a VF grade at 100-200USD and yet there were no buyers... now that thought pains me... :cry:

I sold one of these in EF condition on eBay about two years ago for over $300. It came from a distant relative from Georgia. They are very beautiful coins.

From Wiki:

On December 22, 1800 Tsar Paul I of Russia, at the alleged request of the Georgian king George XII, signed the Proclamation on the incorporation of Georgia (Kartl-Kakheti) within the Russian Empire. The Proclamation was announced on January 18, 1801.

Whilist some of the Georgian nobility accepted this declaration, others organized anti-Russian activities on several occasions.

In the summer 1805 Russian troops on the river Askerani and near Zagam defeated the Persian army and saved Tbilisi from conquest.

In 1810, after a brief war, the western Georgian kingdom of Imereti was annexed by Tsar Alexander I of Russia. The last Imeretian king and the last Georgian Bagratid ruler Solomon II died in exile in 1815. From 1803 to 1878, as a result of numerous Russian wars against Turkey and Iran, several territories were annexed to Georgia. These areas (Batumi, Artvin, Akhaltsikhe, Poti, and Abkhazia) now represent the majority of the territory of Georgia.

Archived