CoinPeople.com

Michigan State Show April 7, 8, 9

mmarotta

I will be speaking on "Counterfeits, Frauds, and Phonies" on Saturday April 8 at the MSNS convention in Dearborn. I will be cutting fake Seated Dollars in half as part of the presentation.

If you are not going to Atlanta for the ANA, then consider Dearborn for the MSNS.

We continue to celebrate our 50th year with a SPRING CONVENTION

April 7, 8, 9 in Dearborn at the Hyatt Regency Hotel. The bourse opens Friday at 10:00 am. The Bourse floor will feature about 120 dealers. The educational forum, exhibits, and other meetings will also be presented. The Board of Directors meets on Saturday at 4:00 pm. The awards breakfast is on Sunday at 8:30 am. The Hyatt Regency is just off the Southfield Expressway and Michigan

Avenue in Dearborn. The Fairlane Mall is in the same neck of the woods.

What time do the doors open and close on Saturday?

Reason being my girlfriend has a first aid class and I won't be able to make it there until 1ish (don't trust my other cars clutch). I hope to meet a few people and make your presentation (doubtful on that part).

The Bourse floor closes officially at 6:30 pm.

Of course, there is "one way traffic" for about half an hour -- you can leave, but not enter. And you want time to actually view and talk. So, I'd say, 5:00 pm is about the latest that you want to show up unless you know exactly what you want and exactly where to buy it.

You might want to see who from your local coin club is going and ride along with them. Even the guys up in Traverse City leave at 5:00 am and make a day of it. Dearborn is a pretty easy drive from much of the Midwest.

The show guide has not been printed yet, but the MSNS convention typically has a Token and Medals meeting, a Paper Money meeting, and a Young Numismatists meeting -- in addition to the Exhibits and such -- just in case you do not find enough action on the floor.

Will you be there on Sunday also? I cannot make the show on Saturday, but I always try to make it to Dearborn for the MSNS.

-Scott

Will you be there on Sunday also?  I cannot make the show on Saturday, but I always try to make it to Dearborn for the MSNS. 

Oh, yes! I will be there all three days in a blue blazer.

Friday I will be walking the floor.

Saturday, I have the Educational Forum and Board Meeting.

Sunday is the awards breakfast and more floor walking.

I'll be going for sure provided nothing else happens :ninja: Just a minor blowout of the valve cover gasket. 35 minutes later and she's running better than ever, so we can take the reliable car now.

I'm hoping to make it to the show by 1pm. Pleanty of time to shop around and a chance to really take my time.

Just to answer your email here in case anyone else had the same question:

You can bring a briefcase, suitcase, purse, backpack, or whatever else on the floor. We have security -- same firm for many years -- one of the higher priced outfits, actually. The dealers are all savvy, of course. Sometimes we have problems, but we never let that get in the way of our customers.

At the ANA, for instance, it is very common for dealers from around the country not to get a table, but to walk the floor instead. They drag one of those airline pilot suitcase assemblages on wheels, with a couple of briefcases and whatever else, and they do business right from the floor. Some of the more active collectors -- the big names who write books -- will do the same sort of thing, though I don't know why. I think that they buy and sell in their specialties and are hawking whole sets or fractional sets of these Jumping Woodchuck 30-cent Trial Patterns of 1871 or whatever.

Anyway, if you want to bring your books, then bring your books!

• 2 weeks later...
  How was the show today? Traffic?

The show was much busier than I had expected. There is no Annnex Room this time. All of the dealers are in the Main Hall. I found several bargains for myself, personally, and a couple more for projects that I am working on. All in all, I was impressed with the breadth and depth of material in all areas -- and I was pleasantly surprised to see major national dealers here as well. They intend to do wholesale as well as retail business here in preference to the ANA in Atlanta simply because the costs here are less.

"600 Town Center Dr" is the correct address right?

Look for the big circular tower. I think that if you find the Southfield Expressway, Ford Road, and Michigan Avenue then Fairlane Mall is what most of the signs say. AAA World Headquarters are about as tall as the hotel, but they are rectangular, not circular.

If you are still lost, use your cell phone to call the hotel -- 313 593 1234.

See you there!

Archived