CoinPeople.com

Accented hair Kennedy?

Burks

I'm having trouble telling a normal Kennedy from the Accented Hair variety of 1964.

Does anyone have tips on telling the difference? I've seen photos but it is still kind of hard to tell.

Accented hair Kennedy's are not easy to spot. But maybe this link will help:

L I N K

First of all, it must be a 1964 proof Kennedy 1/2 dollar. No regular issue Kennedys have the accented hair.

Next, look at the reverse and see if the attributes are there (i.e. "FG" with no serif on the G, broken rays). If they aren't, then it isn't an accented hair.

If the attributes ARE on the reverse, THEN you should look at the obverse for the wishbone-shaped area which isn't on the non-Accented Hair coins.

This is because there are some non-accented hair Kennedy obverses paired with the accented hair reverse. Unfortunately, they do not command a premium, AFAIK.

I don't understand the FG thing very well but the broken rays and the I will be easy to ID.

There was a dealer at a local flea market with lots of proof sets. Figured I might go through them one day and check for accented hair and DCAM pre-1970 Kennedy proofs (heard they were a little hard to come by).

A little off topic, are there any other proof/mint sets I should be checking? Whether it be for a hard to find DCAM coin, variety, or error. Don't worry about the "No-S" proof sets, been checking for those.

A little off topic, are there any other proof/mint sets I should be checking? Whether it be for a hard to find DCAM coin, variety, or error. Don't worry about the "No-S" proof sets, been checking for those.

Any Proof set dated 1972 or earlier that has CAM or DCAM coins - buy it.

Any Proof set dated 1972 or earlier that has CAM or DCAM coins - buy it.

Thanks. Some may go for my personal collection but most will be resold to help fund my 7070 project.

Archived