CoinPeople.com

Some Testons and Francs - Part 1.

Ian

Here's a few silver coins ranging in size from UK florin / US $1/2 size (testons) to nearly crown size (francs) from France minted during the time frame 1527 -1639 and at various locations. Some are fairly worn, some are in high grade for the type, some are what I would term `difficult' to find.

The first one is a silver teston of Antoine de Lorraine (1508 -44) dated 1527 and minted at the city of Nancy. Dark toned, weakly struck but still a nice collectable coin. Not an easy coin to find at the best of times.

909228.jpg

The next is an early silver teston of Charles III Duke of Lorraine wearing crown. No date on coin, but circa 1560v and minted at Nancy. I bought this one on ebay and am using the sellers original photo's (sheer laziness on my part).

909229.jpg

This one is the same guy but during the mid to later part of his reign. No date again on coin, but circa 1590. Minted at Nancy.

909230.jpg

Silver teston of Henri II Duke of Lorraine issued sometime during 1608-24. Minted at Nancy.

909231.jpg

This one is a silver teston of Charles IV Duke of Lorraine issued in 1629 during his first reign on his own. Minted at Nancy.

909232.jpg

A silver teston dated 1576 of Louis de Montpensier (aka Louis II of Dombes). Not easy to find, and sadly, the portraits don't wear well in relation to rest of coin. I also have a 1577 but the portrait is just as flat.

909233.jpg

This one is actuially denominated as a 1/4 ecu issued by Charles II Cardinal of Lorraine (1578- 1607)and Bishop of Metz, for the city of Metz. There is no date on the coin, but circa 1600. Charles was contemporaneous with Charles III Duke of Lorraine. Easily confused.

909227.jpg

• 9 months later...
A silver teston dated 1576 of Louis de Montpensier (aka Louis II of Dombes). Not easy to find, and sadly, the portraits don't wear well in relation to rest of coin. I also have a 1577 but the portrait is just as flat.

909233.jpg

Hello,

This one has been posted quite a while ago, but I just noticed it, as I'm new on these boards. It's not a bad one for the type, are they where usually struck with worn dies, especially the obverses. As you noticed, it is hard to find, would I say, rare in better condition.

The best reference book for that coinage, is "numismatique de Dombes" by Jean Paul DIVO (Fiorino d'oro, 2004)

Qcumbor

Archived