CoinPeople.com

To grade or not to grade?

Mark Stilson

One of the possible coins is the 1876 s trade dollar. http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view.aspx?id=908277

Also on this one wondering how much if any does the chop marks affect grade on this?

I am thinking also about bringing some of them over to the local coin dealer to see what he thinks on individual coins. The 1936 d walker is another. I believe its in the ms range just how far.

Not really sure how much they would take off for chop marks. I have seen chop marked Trades in PCGS plastic so obviously they slab them (along with ANACS). Never seen a NGC one. For the Trade dollar I'd have it sent in for authenticity more then grading considering the huge number of fakes. That alone is worth the $16+.

The Walker is a tough one. If you bought it cheap and it hasn't been cleaned/dipped, it may be worth it if and when the time to sell comes.

If I had to chose one grading service for coins I'd sell in the future, PCGS would be my choice. They sell for a premium over other slabs. PCGS 65 will sell for more then a NGC 65. That's when people buy the slab and not the coin.

When I bought these I don't think we had as much of a problem with fakes. (1972-1977) And may sound strange but I'm not really worried about sale price. At least for another 20 30 years. :lol: As far as I know the walker never has been dipped or cleaned. And it was in the silver price range of the time. One main factor is the conservation bit.

I could kick my self for not really studying the coins and being more agressive when I was younger.

Thanks for the stuff to think about. :ninja:

I'm not really sure when fakes started to appear in mass quantities. That would be more for the "experts" on other boards like CU. A lot of people there specialize in one type of coin and very rarely venture into other areas. Not sure if we have any fake or Trade dollar experts here......

Click me As you can see PCGS does in fact grade chop marked coins. I've seen much, much worse then this graded.

They clean the coins too?

I just dropped by the local dealer and picked up a coin. Also asked him to look at the trade dollar. Its real. I mainly asked what he would grade it at. I did not tell him I bought it from him or his father 30 years ago. :ninja::lol:

Archived