CoinPeople.com

German 1950 1 pfennig variety?

Sir Sisu

I was doing some more organizing this night and found that the coin mentioned in the title has two varities (at least that I now know of). Both coins are from Munich (D) and the variety has to do with the main stem of the oak twig: one is fairly straight while the other is more crooked and curved.

Google was not my friend today :ninja: , so I turned here to see if anyone has some knowledge or literature that mentions this. I took some pics and can post them if needed.

Thanks!

Just in case you wonder - I have no idea. :ninja: But the 1 pfennig coins dated 1950 were actually made between 1950 and 1965, so varieties may easily occur.

The "primary dies" for all German coins were exchanged in the early 1970s, and those have various noticeable differences. But that cannot affect a 1950 piece ...

Christian

Just in case you wonder - I have no idea. :lol:  But the 1 pfennig coins dated 1950 were actually made between 1950 and 1965, so varieties may easily occur.

That explains a lot. :ninja:

This site says a very little at the bottom: http://home.psknet.com/tbirde1/Varieties/Varieties.html

Thanks for the link! I will have to go back and look at some of the doubles that I put into my junk jar.

Yup it mentions at the bottom exactly what I was referring to, although my pictures are better. :cry: Too bad though that there is no quantitative info about the varieties. Perhaps it is not possible.

What's the going rate for the 1950G 50 Pfennig with Bank der Deutschen Lander. As a kid I'd find the 1949's and the other denominations, this was my first real dream coin to find in circulation.

Talk about dream coins. :ninja: That coin (minted "accidentally" since at that time the Federal Republic had already been founded) costs about 400-450 euro in ss and between 500 and 700 in vz. In better grades it is more expensive but pretty rare.

Christian

Barely affordable then :ninja:

I had actually forgotten about this till I saw this thread. But this proves that I was interested in pocket change and collecting coins before we moved across the Atlantic. It would be a nice piece of personal nostalgia

I'm glad my Varieties page came in handy!

Sisu, I'd be glad to substitute your photos for the ones I have on that page.

My pics were only of the stems and one of the coins is well worn, so in that sense they are not great. But the crooked/straight variations are obvious. Feel free to download these and cut/crop/resize/etc as you feel neccessary. Let me know when you have them so I can delete them as I have a limited amount of space myself. If you would prefer images of the entire coin, I can try and do that if you like.

*pics removed*

Archived