CoinPeople.com

Coin market play

bahabully

... greatest return on your dollar YOY to the price ...

What does YOY mean?

(A few weeks ago, Prairie Home Companion had a "Guy Noire" skit about an English teacher who snapped and took a busload of seniors hostage, in part, because he got essays on The Great Gatsby with IMHO in them.)

Wow,,, more great commentary and guidance, but no new picks? Come on, where's your gaming spirit,,,,, Ginsu Steak Knives are a rare collectors item and can cut a tomato with ease after slicing through a car door....

.... and all you have to do is pick the coin that will present the greatest increase in redbook 'estimated/whatever' value from 2006 to 2007 (Year Over Year - YOY). Earn bragging rights for an entire fiscal year as the established and proven redbook coin market investor winner......... maybe get rights to a unique Avatar too.

By the way, very interesting info regarding the 1933 and 1913,,,, I had no idea.

<----Looks dumb now.

I had an opportunity to sit in a class taught by a published academic statistical author. Actually used his book in a class while in college. He was a wise and personnable old bird..... ".....well you can either sit there with your mouth shut, hide your stupidity and appear smart... or open your mouth and prove your stupidity..." He spoke at will.

You know that the price guide is not accurate.  Other people know that the price guide is not accurate.  You know they know.  They know you know.  Yet, the price guides exist.  In fact, they exist specifically to foster their own mythology. 

It would be different if they reported actual sales -- Rome's from Krause is an actual report of actual auction prices ---  but the Greysheet specifically says that a price listed does not mean that any such coin is or ever was for sale. 

So, this is not so much a guess about the market, as a guess about the Redbook guess of the market.

Which coin would you collect as a series if the series (and coin) actually existed?

I'm sure their guide plays some kind of role in pricing though. If people see a large increase in their coins price, you know the selling price is going to reflect that. Search "online coin price guide", PCGS is #2. This goes for those collectors who don't have any kind of paper reference. It could be a great guide if they updated it more then once a year.

I'm sure their guide plays some kind of role in pricing though. If people see a large increase in their coins price, you know the selling price is going to reflect that. Search "online coin price guide", PCGS is #2. This goes for those collectors who don't have any kind of paper reference. It could be a great guide if they updated it more then once a year.

That's what can make price guides insidious. PCGS, Greysheet etc. who knows how they got the prices. Are they influenced by those who sell coins? Maybe, maybe not but we'll never know.

Soon enough you'll be able to look at a coin by type, grade, service and see actual results over time. You can allready to a limited degree on Heritage and Ebay. Those real prices are the market, are the guide for the future.

Soon enough you'll be able to look at a coin by type, grade, service and see actual results over time.  You can allready to a limited degree on Heritage and Ebay.  Those real prices are the market, are the guide for the future.

I think Ebay and Heritage are the best "price guides" there are. Real people and real time. Not what someone "thinks" a coin is worth 8 months ago. I base a lot of my dealings on current Ebay prices. Which is often below Redbook price. Maybe have overpaid on one coin but it was worth it.

You see descriptions like "PCGS Guide $500" and it sells for maybe $200. Well either someone got a killer deal or someone at PCGS hit the wrong button on the calculator.

Archived