CoinPeople.com

New to forum & Looking for guidance

zangeli

Hello All-

My father left a coin collection that I am sorting through, trying to categorize and document. I have done some research on some of the coins and talked to a few coin dealers. I really could use some advise as to the best approach, venue, or forum in having a value placed on them and/or auction some or all.

He traveled the world during the 50's through 70's and made it a habit of picking up coins and or paper currency wherever he visited. He collected currency from over 33 countries.

One unique coin is a 1905 Vittorio Emanuele III 1 Lire from Italy. I believe he got it from his father who immigrated in the early 1900s. I have done some checking on this coin already.

Many thanks and I look forward to your comments and input.

zangeli

Hi,

This is sometimes difficult to mention but often it is the case.

If the coins were collectible coins or silver , they may have some value. If they were essentially "pocket change" that he came home with, most of the coins will probably have only a minimal value to a collector.

That is not to say that there may not be a valuable piece or two in the collection, so you still need to do some research.

I would be curious to know if the coins are collector coins or pocket change.

Thanks,

Bill

Forgot to mention, do NOT take the coins to a pawn shop or a place like that if you decide to sell. They will rip you off big time.

Better off selling to forums like this. You'll get much more.

Warning! If you research all your dad's coins and none are rare or worth much more than face value, you still risk becoming a coin collector. By the time you are done, one or more pieces will start to grow on you. In searching the catalogs, you will see things you don't have and learn you want to go buy them. Even if some of your dad's coins are of value and you decide to sell them, you will still pick one or two to save because they were your dad's.

No matter how you cut it, you are at serious risk of becoming a collector.

Welcome!

Haha Bill's right. Look at Dad's Stuff! From strictly seller to collector now.

Hopefully you will find coins interesting not only from an artist standpoint, but historical as well. Very easy to learn as well.

Welcome Zangeli,

Your opening paragraph looks amazingly familiar. We both came to this wonderful place under similar circumstances. I too only wanted to find out how to liquidate my dad's coin collection. Now I find that I am totally enthralled with nickles and cents.

The statement below is probably one of the most factual statements I have seen posted on these boards.

Warning! If you research all your dad's coins and none are rare or worth much more than face value, you still risk becoming a coin collector. By the time you are done, one or more pieces will start to grow on you. In searching the catalogs, you will see things you don't have and learn you want to go buy them. Even if some of your dad's coins are of value and you decide to sell them, you will still pick one or two to save because they were your dad's.

No matter how you cut it, you are at serious risk of becoming a collector.

I would bet you will have picked out something you can not bear to part with and want more of within 3 months.

Linda

Archived