CoinPeople.com

Help Please

Hello! I’m New to the forum. I’ve seen this medal twice in my lifetime online.

Can someone please tell me something about it? I’m more a world coin collector. But I would like to know what I’m looking for??? When I add to my search.

Should I be looking for Henri or the Cardinal. I've tried Henri but only get old coins. Nothing Bronze like this.

Any info would be appreciated.

FRANCE_HENRI_III___CARDINAL_DE_BIRAGUE_19TH_C._medal.jpg

FRANCE_HENRI_III___CARDINAL_DE_BIRAGUE_19TH_C._medal_Front.jpg

The obituary for the cardinal can be found here:

http://www.fiu.edu/~mirandas/bios1578.htm#Birague

It appears you have a Renaissance meda1, and quite a nice one at that. Good luck in tracking it down.

There was a series of these (or similar) medals created by the french mint at the end of the 19th century. They all carry the `corne d'abondance' edge mark indicating their relatively modern (post 1880) minting. What I don't know though is whether it is a re-strike of an earlier medal or not. I suspect that it is a creation of the 1880's however.

Cardinal Rene de Birague was the Chancellor of France during the reign of Henri III (disastrous as far as HIII was concerned).

de Birague was also known as `hammer of the heretics' for his anti protestant stance and was allegedly a party to the St Bartholomews day massacre. If so, he is not the choicest of individuals nor an individual I would consider worthy of having a medal made in commemoration, but there you have it. Theres' no accounting for taste, or religious biggotry.

I have seen the medal before on ebay France, and I think also Canada but not of late.

Ian

Ian: thank you. I learn something nearly everyday on this forum. I didn't think to ask about the size of the medal (Rennaissance medals are quite large) and I didn't know about the French mint restrikes. I found a comment on the practice of making the edge marks:

http://www.money.org/AM/Template.cfm?Secti...&CONTENTID=1703

I guess (looking again at the pictures) that the ebay camera log in the bottom corner and the 19th C note in the tile of the jpeg file should have been a clue!

:ninja: .

I never spotted the ebay `camera' symbol till you mentioned it. I guess I was too caught up in the splendour of the medal.

As to edge marks on french medals / medalets........

The practice commenced in 1832 when a very small mark was incused into the edge in the shape of an oil lamp (`alladin' type). The edge mark used, or `poinçon' as the French term it, determines roughly when the item was minted. If you didn't know what you were looking for you would probably miss it or dismiss it as a very minor edge fleck.

Here's a table of all the poinçons I know of up to and including the `corne d'abondance'

pre 1832 - no edge mark

1832-41 - lampe ancienne (oil lamp)

1841-42 - ancre (anchor with `C' interlaced)

1842-45 - prou de navire (prow of a ship /sailing vessel)

1845-60 - main indicatrice (hand with finger pointing to right)

1860-79 - abeille (bumble bee)

1880 - corne d'abondance (cornucopia)

There are later poinçons like a losenge (french losange) with either a boars head, or crown, or lis. Also an Eagle Head. These are all into the 1900's and outwith my interest area...hence my right to play dumb in that respect. :-)

Sometimes (but not always) the poinçon will be accompanied by note of the metal used. That is, `Argent' (.830 silver) or `Argent 1' (.500 silver) ; or `Cuivre' (copper) or `Bronze'.

Anyone interested in French medals or jetons should always inspect the edge for these poinçons as they quickly determine if the date on the item matches the period minted. Many items being sold as `original' on ebay are indeed restrikes. Sometimes sellers mention the `poinçon' but if you don't know what it means it tends to get shunted to the side. With the table above you have the means to assess the time frame of the item.

Many jetons issued in the 1800's by bodies such as Chambers of Commerce, Insurance Companies, Banks etcetera were struck on a number of occasions over a period of time and as such the only thing there is to differentiate each issue is the poinçon. Many collectors (myself included) collect such items by the poinçon much as coin collectors will collect by date. Occasionally, some later strikes are rarer (and more valuable) than the original strike. Not often though.

Ian

Archived