CoinPeople.com

Euro error

Hi!

I'd like to show you an error in a 1 euro coin. This kind of error seems to be common because i've already got 4 coins like this :ninja: In the "EURO" letters we can see a double "R".

I think it would be due to a die fatigue, I'm not sure :lol:

1 Euro 2003 (Spain)

detallerdoble1og.jpg

I hope you like it!!!

Most coins struck outside the United Staes (Just didn't want to assume that everyone knew what I meant if I said foreign, LOL), are struck with a die that has been coated with some form of metal. ie Chrome plated, etc. Now when parts of this plating starts to flake away or become distorted, it transfers that image onto the coin. I have hundreds of examples of this type of thing in my stash of coins. I see several hundred within a dealers junk box of foreign. Simply put, this type of error can be ramked with strike doubling (which is a bounce in the die, not a doubled image on the die itself). In essence, if the area isn't very large, odds are that they wont command any premium if any at all. One of these days, I'll dig out a foreign die deterioration error that I have on a Netherlands coin, that makes most of the letters big mushy blocks almost. Just bear in mind, if it was a true doubled die, the first image would look like the second, ie not rough like the secondary image on the letter R that you have been gracious to show us. (that last line (diagnostic) there is a 99% guarantee, but there are those 1% that don't follow the norm. LOL).

Thanks dacoinman for your answer. As you say, this is a very common error, i'm getting more from years 2003 and 2004. It's funny to see how the euro-countries have different typical errors. This is going to be one from Spain. Belgium has a lot of coin with excess metal, etc. But I must admit that euros are good quality coins if I compare them with all our currencies we had before, I don't like them :lol: and errors are getting expensive now (I don't mind 'cause I only collect erros I find personally).

I'll show you more things when I've got some time to scan!! :ninja:

Regards,

Victor

Archived