CoinPeople.com

Ancient Prices Database

jlueke

Over the Holidays I plan on getting most of the basic work completed for my latest endevour. It is a database of prices realized for ancient coins. I won't be able to ,make it directly searchable now since I can't run scripts and have a database on my existing host. If I get enough time to set up my own, that would be part of the plan.

What I do plan on doing is lising the Issuer (Ruler or Place), denomination, and the last 5 or 10 sales underneath those headings.

It would look something like this. Say you clicked on Nero and Dupondius

Nero Dupondius

I do plan on adding the dates as well. Other than that is there any basic information you would like to see?

The point of this is to get sale data and prices by ruler and denomination rather than searching through archives. It won't have images initially but once you see the coins you can always use coinarchives.com to get an image if needed.

Looks like a neat, but labor intensive endeavour :ninja:

It is labor intensive now but I should be able to automate much of it. The HTML generation will HAVE to be automated. The toughest thing is the parsing and standardizing. I think it's impossible to do that 100% across three languages without some manual intervention.

Also, do you think it woukld be valid if I looked at VCOINS and assumed a sale had been made once a coin is removed from inventory? I know that's not going to be 100% accurate but the data would be disclosed as such.

This is a massive project and I applaud your willingness to undertake such a task.  Will you be able to access the 'bay' auctions as wildwinds has done?  What other sales sources will you be able to 'data mine'?

I can dump ebay for data but I'm not sure how relevant it is for this type of thing. The primary problems are accurate attribution and grades. I can rely on this from CNG, GM, and others but on ebay. I'd rather do vcoins. The data sources are any online public sales. Some have history going back others will be more going forward.

Archived