CoinPeople.com

HEJDA: Vunter-See, 1915

Wilhelm Hejda UNTER-SEE, Red Cross War Medal, 1915, 45mm, cast zinc

To commemorate the deployment of German submarines into the Mediterranean during WWI.

Obverse: VNTER-SEE See below for possible descriptions.

Reverse: RED CROSS - WAR – AUXILLARY OFFICE – OFFICE FOR WAR WELFARE SERVICE.

First of all, I can’t tell you much history about the Red Cross medals and their issuance. Perhaps someone here can shed some light? I have seen quite a number of them in the past but none struck my fancy like this one did. Once I saw it I had to have it.

I am not sure of the symbolism on the obverse and it can be taken one of several different ways I guess…and that’s just it, I am guessing. The first guess is that the giant fish monster, as protector, is grasping two submarines to keep them safe while “unter-see”. The other possibility is that the giant fish is the personification of the German submariner program and, as monster of the sea, is carrying two torpedoes as armament and ready for attack. Your guess is as good as mine.

Either way, you can’t deny the fantastic visual presented on the obverse…the monster fish could easily have been a vision of past German masters such as Bosch, Breughel or Durer. This is an excellent example of early German expressionism.

HejdaFish.jpg

I see his stuff occasionally on German auction sites but have only seen this one the one time. I know of another collector that has one too. Can't tell you how rare they may be though. The other pieces of his that I've seen have nothing of the same power and, quite honestly, I don't recall even what was on the obverse...I just remember his distinct name.

Archived