CoinPeople.com

Do you collect.....

Guest Aidan Work

Guest Aidan Work

Guest Aidan Work

Anton,do you know if any Canadian cities apart from Toronto issued their own local vouchers? I am familiar with the Calgary Stampede $1 tokens,as they turn up quite often over here in New Zealand.I can guess

that these were kept as souvenirs of Stampede Days.I wouldn't be too surprised if the short-lived Kingdom of L'Anse St Jean (which existed between 1997 & 2000) issued their own notes,which,naturally,would be inscribed in Quebecois.

Aidan.

The calgary coin you mentioned would most likely be a "trade dollar" These were issued by many towns, cities and municipalities, are collectable as well. I did have a book on Canadian Municipal Trade dollars some time ago, but am now kicking myself because I parted with it. Although I don't collect Canadian Tire Money, I also have some coupons dating from the 1960's to present day, including 2 interesting notes featuring Montral 1976 Olympics logo on the backs. I also have a catalogue on Canadian tire coupons, and their values with conditions as well.

Guest Aidan Work

Anton,I got sent 2 pieces of Canadian 'tyre money' - a 5c. & a 10c. dated 2004 from a dealer in Portage la Prairie,Manitoba.He enclosed them along with a 1947C Newfoundland 1c. I got for C$5.The notes are very colourful,& have a picture of a man dressed in Scots costime.I have been informed that this is Sandy McTire.If he was a Scotsman,wouldn't his name be 'Sandy McTyre'? We use British spelling over here in New Zealand.American spelling is very strange to us.

By the way,Anton,have you ever received 'tyre money' as change? I am

fairly sure that some traders in Canada would accept a 5c. in 'tyre money' if the customer is 5c. short & so on.

Aidan.

Anton,I got sent 2 pieces of Canadian 'tyre money' - a 5c. & a 10c. dated 2004 from a dealer in Portage la Prairie,Manitoba.He enclosed them along with a 1947C Newfoundland 1c. I got for C$5.The notes are very colourful,& have a picture of a man dressed in Scots costime.I have been informed that this is Sandy McTire.If he was a Scotsman,wouldn't his name be 'Sandy McTyre'? We use British spelling over here in New Zealand.American spelling is very strange to us.

By the way,Anton,have you ever received 'tyre money' as change? I am

fairly sure that some traders in Canada would accept a 5c. in 'tyre money' if the customer is 5c. short & so on.

Aidan.

Aidan;

I am a vendor at a flea market from spring to fall, and accept Canadian tire money as cash; It's amazing what people have around; most ever from one person was $60 worth 2 years ago. I sold the best note I had from change on ebay, I think it was a 1985 25 cent asterik note (replacement). Went for $10. and change u.s., valued at at least $18.00 Canadian, probably more as I'm conservative in grading.

Franz

Guest Aidan Work

Franz,I didn't know that there were replacement notes in Canadian tyre money.Next time you get one,you'd better put it on Ebay with a starting price of US$10 minimum.I am surprised that Canadian Tire's latest note catalogue is the 1992 edition.I reckon that dealers should be listing all the notes,including replacements with grades & prices.

Aidan.

Franz,I didn't know that there were replacement notes in Canadian tyre money.Next time you get one,you'd better put it on Ebay with a starting price of US$10 minimum.I am surprised that Canadian Tire's latest note catalogue is the 1992 edition.I reckon that dealers should be listing all the notes,including replacements with grades & prices.

Aidan.

I have the 6th edition Canadian tire guide by Bilodeau, it is a 2003 edition and is fairly up to date on pricing. Replacement notes vary in pricing, I graded mine a fine, and started it at 99 cents; I normally do this with my auctions, and have found 99% of the time I do well. The book I have lists all notes with conditions/prices from good to unc. from 1958-2002, including replacement notes.

Guest Aidan Work

I will be putting my 2 Canadian 'tyre money' vouchers on Ebay some time soon,as I collect proper Canadian notes,not that I have been offered many.

Franz,when you started your auction at 99c., is that US 99c.,or is it 99c. Canadian?

Aidan.

Archived